'86 2.5 water-cooled intake? - Where could it be leaking

It might be because of my headache but do you mean you have water dripping from your exhaust pipe, from the inside or collecting and running down the outside of the pipe?

water in gas can cause the dripping and can also kill other sensors. for example my uncles Mercury Cougar V6 had a design flaw where water vapor would collect on the Deferential Pressure Exhaust Sensor (or something like that) and would short out the sensor... after replacing them once a week for 3 weeks i started to use water remover and that solved the problem.

I use Heet fuel treatment every tank (yellow Bottle) once a month i will use another treatment in a red bottle by Heet and once every few months I will run Sea foam.

Thank God for spell check, my headache is starting to get to me... :(

no . this is an actual water cooled (or heated) manifold. there is a water line coming off the thermostat cover. the leak seems to be in back and underneath, but I'm wondering if anyone had had a similar issue with these. and what might be done about it.

6605062301_816d032d2c_z.jpg

Check the coolant temp sensor. It is located in the back part of the intake manifold. The seal could be leaking.

i will do this in the daylight first thing. ---do you (or anyone) know the location in relation to the AIT sensor? and does it look similar to AIT?

no . this is an actual water cooled (or heated) manifold. there is a water line coming off the thermostat cover. the leak seems to be in back and underneath, but I'm wondering if anyone had had a similar issue with these. and what might be done about it.

6605062301_816d032d2c_z.jpg

I had the same leak on my 2.5 , replaced the rear(exit) hose and found a crack on the nipple that's screwed into the manifold and another crack on the heater valve . Replaced both ,and got the proper molded (oem) hose . :wrench: A tip is to use Factory spring clamps , as its easy to over tighten gear clamps and distort the plastic heater valve/switch . :thumbsup:

Yup my 2.5 just starten leaking everywhere as well, must be the time of year. I think the source of mine is a plug I have yet to identify under the manifold. Also I was finding the green antifreeze in various spots around the engine so I think it may have leaked anto the fan and or fan belt and been sprayed around a bit.

Check the coolant temp sensor. It is located in the back part of the intake manifold. The seal could be leaking.

i will do this in the daylight first thing. ---do you (or anyone) know the location in relation to the AIT sensor? and does it look similar to AIT?

If you are looking at the intake air temp sensor, which is located in the top of the intake manifold, look down on the drivers side of the intake manifold back towards the firewall. It might be hard to see, but it will be there. And yes, it does look very similar as it also uses a 2 wire plug.

• 2 weeks later...

no. --its not the sensors, nor the hoses. ----- seems to be from the under-side of the intake but for the life of me i cannot see it. it's my dd these days so i don't wanna tear it apart. needs an infusion of cash but the forces of evil are working against me, lol.

I bought my '87 Comanche about a month ago and am in the process of chasing down a "running rich" condition. Today I noticed the same thing you are describing. I see small water spots collecting below the intake manifold. I also have "smoke" rising up after the engine gets hot. I say smoke but not sure if it is steaming antifreeze or a burning smoke combination. When I bought it, it was covered in oil and the previous owner did a DYI valve cover gasket job. Since then I degreased it and am trying to track down the leak. My next job will be to replace the manifold gasket and valve cover gasket to see if that fixes the problem. I have a couple of manifold bolts missing so I am pretty sure this is contributing.

Please repost if you track it down your issue.

BTW, this is my first post and am thankful for this site! I love it! I have learned so much about my truck from this site. I have big dreams for the '87 and hope I have the persistence to fix her up.

I bought my '87 Comanche about a month ago and am in the process of chasing down a "running rich" condition. Today I noticed the same thing you are describing. I see small water spots collecting below the intake manifold. I also have "smoke" rising up after the engine gets hot. I say smoke but not sure if it is steaming antifreeze or a burning smoke combination. When I bought it, it was covered in oil and the previous owner did a DYI valve cover gasket job. Since then I degreased it and am trying to track down the leak. My next job will be to replace the manifold gasket and valve cover gasket to see if that fixes the problem. I have a couple of manifold bolts missing so I am pretty sure this is contributing.

Please repost if you track it down your issue.

BTW, this is my first post and am thankful for this site! I love it! I have learned so much about my truck from this site. I have big dreams for the '87 and hope I have the persistence to fix her up.

right-on! welcome. this is a fantastic site for these trucks, but it sounds like you already found that out. where are you from? - and, put up some pics of your truck when you have time.

so i never did get this sorted out and have looked at all the sensors and hose connections that i can see. all i can think now is that it may be a gasket issue but i can't see it coming out so can't confirm that in any way (yet).

my newest thought on this is ----- are you ready for it? ------- what about by-passing the whole "water-warmed-intake" part of the equation by just running the hose directly to the heater valve ( in the same way as the non-heated manifold ones are plumbed)? has anyone ever tried this? thoughts? crazy? too cheap?

so i never did get this sorted out and have looked at all the sensors and hose connections that i can see. all i can think now is that it may be a gasket issue but i can't see it coming out so can't confirm that in any way (yet).

my newest thought on this is ----- are you ready for it? ------- what about by-passing the whole "water-warmed-intake" part of the equation by just running the hose directly to the heater valve ( in the same way as the non-heated manifold ones are plumbed)? has anyone ever tried this? thoughts? crazy? too cheap?

Give it a try , can't see it causing any major problems + if the leak stops / or not , you've narrowed down your search :thumbsup: