OBNOXIOUS UNDERHOOD SQUEEKING mystery gone on too long

3 months ago,My water pump had a rumbly-ish noticable noise,which i found to be the water pump, so I swapped it out ....only to notice this mousy faint squeek coming from so0mewhere front of the ngine, which has increasingly gotten louder to where it irrittating. So I put CRC inside the tensioner pully,just a squirt ....which made it worse, SO....dealth with it for weeks,then gave in & replaced it today.

The SQUEEK is still there. Standing in front center of the truck, it sounds kinda to the left-ish ...air conditioner pulley? Alternator pully? Would a Main bearing toward the front of the engine squeek? squeel even. this can be quite frusterating. I wanna hear my exhaust, Not squeeking. I manulally idled it up around 1800ish rpm or so & the squeeking became more solid sounding & slightly louder. ALL input is appreciated. really. I'm stumped. Roommate says its a belt but it doesnt sound like it would be a belt.

MAYBE the belt is over one groove too far maybe on one of the grooved pullys.

Mind you tensioner pully is Smooth,the rest are grooved. sorry so long,irritating noise.

i have been dealing with a simalr squeeking on my 01 XJ. when i bought it last year with 165000 on it i just figured it must be the water pump. replaced it still squeeks. new belt, still it squked at me. i spent days looking and listening and since it had so many miles on it what else was left but the alt. ha it still made that confounding noise :wall: . i replaced the idler pully with one from the junk yard and thats when i noticed that the idler pully had a very slight wobble to it. the bearing is tight and feels good but it it dose not track straight. as a result as the belt travels around the pully it slips across the face of the pully enough to squeek. it only dose this in the winter when the belt is stiff. once it warms up and the belt softens and the rubber gets sticky the squeek goes away. i took idler housing out of another 4.0 at the junk yard but have not put it in yet. i was tired of working on that problem.

i was thinking if you held a heat gun on the belt as its running to warm it up maybe it might get sticky enough to stop it, just as a way of testing my theory.

not sure if its the same on yours but watch the belt track on every pully. mine was out only very slightly

good luck

If you believe it is the belt moving around on the pulleys, try this trick an old mechanic taught me:

Take some silcone gasket maker and put a dollop about the size of a pencil eraser on your fingertip. With the engine off, rub it perpendicular to the belt at an open spot (any place on belt - but only one place). Start the truck - if the squeaking is gone it is the belt (either a pulley alignment problem or an idler bearing problem). If the squeak is still there (he said) the problem is most likely the harmonic balancer is rubbing the timing chain cover.

I will give that a try ...wonder if it has to be silicone .... think i have a small tube, may try that. Ty for atleast pointing me in a direction. Tired of trying to pinpoint exactly where its coming from.

If you believe it is the belt moving around on the pulleys, try this trick an old mechanic taught me:

Take some silcone gasket maker and put a dollop about the size of a pencil eraser on your fingertip. With the engine off, rub it perpendicular to the belt at an open spot (any place on belt - but only one place). Start the truck - if the squeaking is gone it is the belt (either a pulley alignment problem or an idler bearing problem). If the squeak is still there (he said) the problem is most likely the harmonic balancer is rubbing the timing chain cover.

Just put a small bit of permatex across grooved side of blt, squeek dissapeared, TYVM

I will give that a try ...wonder if it has to be silicone .... think i have a small tube, may try that. Ty for atleast pointing me in a direction. Tired of trying to pinpoint exactly where its coming from.

I had a persistent squeak that finally went away when I replaced the harmonic balancer.

Following an accident, I had another belt issue that turned out to be the PS pump pulley had been pushed further onto the shaft, putting it out of alignment with the rest of the system. In this case, I couldn't keep the truck from chewing up the belt after all the necessary repairs to the body & radiator support were done. Re-aligned PS pulley, and the problem was solved.