Bearing in ba10 making noise

I have the crappy ba10 and it just started making a metal grinding sound when the clutch is depressed and in gear. The trans is fine and I am NOT upgrading to the ax15. With that aside I will be installing a new clutch kit with bearings and slave. Do I need to replace the flywheel or not? I did the clutch less than 2 years ago and the flywheel was new then.

Ok sounds good. Is the clutch release bearing something that can replaced separately from the clutch, or do I have to replace the entire clutch? Are you talking about the slave cylinder or is the release bearing something different?

• 1 month later...

Release bearing is the one that pushes on the pressure plate. It could also be the pilot bearing (that's what mine was. It seized to the trans input shaft while I was waiting for a light to change! :ack: (I don't see an eeek! dude) :eek:

Rule of thumb: If noise goes away when you press the clutch, in the trans (usually front bearing or bad gears)

If the noise only happens when you push the clutch, throwout (release) bearing or pilot bearing. If truck lurches like you let off the clutch, pilot bearing seized up.

If noise is there before you press the clutch gets waaay worse when you press the clutch, then throwout bearing for sure or something inside the motor is going bad (thrust bearings usually)

• 7 months later...

How easy is the throw out bearing to replace with the BA10 4x4 4,0 set up? Can I get the trans back enough and just pull it back up? Is there a procedure write up on this replacement?

The BA10/5 setup uses the combination internal slave cylinder & release (throw-out) bearing. The get the assembly off the transmission input shaft, the input shaft (and thus the tranny and bell housing) has to be pulled back far enough to completely be free from the clutch disc splines, plus about another three or four inches. And, if I remember correctly, the release bearing assembly is bolted into the bell housing. In essence, you're pulling the transmission, whether you want to or not.

Personally, for the work involved to get at the release bearing, I think it makes sense to do the entire clutch kit while you're in there, unless money is VERY tight.