New Starter Sounds like a cat passing a hairball

Hello Fellow MJ Addicts,

My 21 year old stock starter died and for expedience sake I installed a starter from WPS (World Power Systems) as it was the fastest delivery I could get. I noticed a very different sounding starter when I turn the truck over, it works fine, but the noise is like a cat passing a hairball. Is this common with newer starters? It is so annoying and I paid so little that I am tempted to order the Chrysler replacement starter and shelve this one for an emergency.

TIA

Dog

Well Joe, I have heard cats passing hairballs (disgusting sounds), but never a starter motor that sounded like that. A unique starter you purchased. :D Back in the day when there weren't cheap "offshore" parts so readily available, we used to have starters, alternators, and generators rebuilt. Sometimes all they needed was a cleanup and a set of brushes, or maybe on open stator rewound, but it's almost always better and more reliable than the offshore junk. There are still a lot of shops around that do this, and it's probably what I would do unless I could find a genuine NOS unit for cheap.

Well Joe, I have heard cats passing hairballs (disgusting sounds), but never a starter motor that sounded like that. A unique starter you purchased. :D Back in the day when there weren't cheap "offshore" parts so readily available, we used to have starters, alternators, and generators rebuilt. Sometimes all they needed was a cleanup and a set of brushes, or maybe on open stator rewound, but it's almost always better and more reliable than the offshore junk. There are still a lot of shops around that do this, and it's probably what I would do unless I could find a genuine NOS unit for cheap.
Thanks Don,

My favorite little business like that called Titan Alternators in Napa closed its doors 20 years ago :( There is a place in Berkeley that has a good rep that I am going to get a price from though :D A good NOS from the dealer is $250 see let's see how much it costs to rebuild.

I've had a similar problem with big chain stores offshore rebuilt starters not working right. The starter might have had its mounting surface ground on by a sweatshop worker, and now it mounts too close to the ring gear on the flywheel, and the teeth on the starter bottom out in the teeth on the ring gear, making your "hairball" sound. I've shimmed a Motorcraft style starter I used on my 2.5L YJ because of noisy engegement, but I don't think there are any shims made for Chrysler starters. That sweatshop rebuild might also even have an incorrectly sized gear installed on it, so you might compare it with the one you pulled from the Jeep, if you haven't already cashed in the core charge on it.

Did you take a look at the condition of the ring gear? They get chewed up over the years of use, and could be a cause of noisy operation, too. When you get your starter rebuilt, make sure to take a look at the ring gear, even though there's not much you can do about it if it looks beat up, since you'd have to pull the trans to replace it. Hope it looks decent, with just minor rounding of the teeth on the leading edge where the starter throws in.

I've had a similar problem with big chain stores offshore rebuilt starters not working right. The starter might have had its mounting surface ground on by a sweatshop worker, and now it mounts too close to the ring gear on the flywheel, and the teeth on the starter bottom out in the teeth on the ring gear, making your "hairball" sound. I've shimmed a Motorcraft style starter I used on my 2.5L YJ because of noisy engegement, but I don't think there are any shims made for Chrysler starters. That sweatshop rebuild might also even have an incorrectly sized gear installed on it, so you might compare it with the one you pulled from the Jeep, if you haven't already cashed in the core charge on it.

Did you take a look at the condition of the ring gear? They get chewed up over the years of use, and could be a cause of noisy operation, too. When you get your starter rebuilt, make sure to take a look at the ring gear, even though there's not much you can do about it if it looks beat up, since you'd have to pull the trans to replace it. Hope it looks decent, with just minor rounding of the teeth on the leading edge where the starter throws in.

Thanks txjeeptx,

Haven't traded in the old starter yet, the ring gear looked good no abnormal wear, I think you are on to something with the shim. As soon as I get the other one rebuilt I will remove and return this one.

My 21 year old starter bought the farm a couple months ago, and I got a new OEM starter from

the dealer same day. Cost me $180, but works like a champ, and I have some confidence it may

last the next 21 years, possibly longer than I will.