"White Lightning" 86/92 MJ build (slow moving)

Finally got around to putting the new header on and boy did I run into some issues. Turns out, one of the studs that comes out of the head that holds on the manifold broke off when I was removing it last week and just found out today. So, not really sure what to do there. I removed the head and plan on taking it to a machine shop to get the head cleaned and resurfaced and hopefully get that out and taken care of. Unless yall have other ideas. Was hoping to have my new exhaust manifold in and driving her around today but all I got to do was tear her down more than she already was.

here's where the day started, just had to cut off the bottom two bolts on the manifold to get it out.

I think there was a leak somewhere near the back of the block:

Now the head is off and I'm at a stall in the project again

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got some good progress this weekend. Got the motor mounts done first since they were easy to get to without any manifolds in the way

This is what was removed, I think the drivers side mount there is a little worn.

So then the head went back on, and mock up the new exhaust manifold

It was a little difficult, but it finally went all back together late last night. At one point, I was getting very frustrated, so I took a break from wrenching and took my new tires to get mounted. I'm using BBs to balance them and the stupid shop wouldnt put the BBs in the tire for me, lets just say I will never give Sears Auto center any service as long as I live.

So my truck sat like this for a few hours

But she did go back together, and tested it in the woods and on the road real quick, didnt have enough gas to do too much. But she drives smooth and the big step towards inspection is complete.

• 1 month later...

I had to test out the new tires and sure enough, while doing so, broke the bolt for the track bar on the frame bracket. I waited awhile to decide what to do, then I waited for the shipping, then I waited for my welding buddy to be back in town. Finally got to it this weekend. :banana:

Broken bolt on the right side of the bar, somehow the nut started to back out. I guess the coder (??) pin decided it didnt want to be there any longer.

drop bracket from TnT

Heim joints from ruffstuff. I reused the axle mount from the Rustys track bar, easier than getting another bracket and having to move the steering stablizer mount and other stuff.

All installed and ready for the next mini project

• 1 year later...

Got a few things done recently, moving to TX in a couple months and won't be able to take my truck with me so I'm trying to get as much done as I can before the move. 

Found a very rusted spot on my firewall and covered it with lots of RTV hoping my leak problem would be solved. Also decided to replace the hood gasket for good measure. can't be too careful when it comes to rust.

Also, went to the junkyard a few days ago, picked up a replacement electric fan, I had a broken blade on it, and also picked up a drivers side fender for my 97+ swap. Slowly gathering the parts for it. Just need the header, pass. fender, and headlight harness.

Between the seal, and the load of RTV I put in what I think is the right place, no leaks. Well I say that but there is still water getting into the cab, just through the door seal. When as closed as it'll go, about a .5" gap at the top, so sideways rain gets in easily. Fixing the hinges and rehanging the door is near the top of my TO DO list. But the seal sure seems to be a good fix for like 11 bucks.

Between the seal, and the load of RTV I put in what I think is the right place, no leaks. Well I say that but there is still water getting into the cab, just through the door seal. When as closed as it'll go, about a .5" gap at the top, so sideways rain gets in easily. Fixing the hinges and rehanging the door is near the top of my TO DO list. But the seal sure seems to be a good fix for like 11 bucks.

Sounds like a deal...I'm the same way with the gap but I think it's mainly the door seal...