ZJ transmission (or transfer case?) grinding noise

acfortier

Does anyone have any experience with the above? Went to go check out a '96 ZJ 5.2L that has the 44RE and the NP249. I know the viscous coupler on those transfer cases like to go, and the transmission themselves aren't that reliable. Vehicle does have 193K miles on it, but current owner changed tranny fluid and filter. As for the noise, you can hear a grinding noise coming from right underneath whenever the vehicle is in motion. It becomes worse as you go faster. As of this point, the only way for me to check and see what it really is would be to jack it up on all four wheels and observe it in drive under there.

Does anyone have any ideas? The unit itself is overall cheap, but I just don't want to get myself into too much of a project. I'm hoping its just the transfer case (easiest swap imo) rather than the transmission itself or the front axle.

I do believe its the transfer case making the noise. Put a stethoscope on it and the noise is certainly worse near the transfer case.

Question is, do I stay 249 or go 242?

Another question, are they the same input/output shafts and linkage for 4.0 or 5.2? Just wondering if I need to be careful to which engine I grab one off of.

Is the 242 a simple swap out with the 249?

Hope yer right and its just noise in the t-case.

242 swap would be similar to doing one in any other Jeep - you'll need the shifter for the different gate positions from the 249 shifter. You'll need one for a ZJ, though, which could be harder to locate. If you find one to pull the 242 from, get its shifter. I doubt there's any other Jeep model that used the same shifter.