Need a little help with my chero

zagscrawler

Hello all. I am having a real hard time getting registered into NAXJA so i can post up some questions so here i am.. Well i just picked up an 88 xj 4x4 auto 4.0l and it is making a horible sound around the flexplate at idle or a bit higher. It goes away mostly if you rev the engine. ive heard issues of cracked flexplates being like this...Any clues? Thanks all

Did you remove the torque converter cover and and look for any clues? Can you rock, wiggle move the flex plate at all? Possible causes, cracked, broken flex plate. Loose flex plate mounting bolts. Starter not disengaging, Cat crawled into bell housing.

Ive not had time to inspect it myself but when i went to purchase the jeep from the lady she had a mechanic friend meet with us and he said he looked and all the bolts were tight a while back. I'm not sure i trust his opinion considering when i got there he was cranking the idle screw on the throttle body way open hoping to raise the idle enouph for me not to hear the noise in the first place. I have lots of work to do to this little sumbitch before ill trail out to the middle of no where with my family. ill get my head under it real soon. i have my fingers crossed that it is infact a bad flexplate. Thanks all. :wrench: