explain shocks to me

alright I'm looking to buy new shocks. the rock krawler website says 19" compressed and 31" extended for 6.5 long arm lift. now ive got the JKS shock conversion mount so that takes it down an 1.10". so that'd be 17+change and still 31" down. ive found a few bilstein ones with the right specs (or close enough) but which series would work best for me. the 5150, 5165? what about the compression/rebound rates? :help:

I'm running a 6.5 inch long arm kit with bilstein shocks. I have the 5100s in the front and 5125s in the rear. Don't remember the exact valving numbers but I do remember I made it a point to have lower valving in the rear than the front. After driving it both on and off road, I'm very impressed with the ride in both situations.

after looking on the website i didnt see anything that matched up to my specs but the 5160/5165. all the others were to short but clearly since both of you are running them i must be missing something.

as for compression/rebound. would i want them higher or lower because thats the only difference between thes ones ive found. ones 700/2550 and the other is 575/1600

Just a FYI on a few things (which may clear things up for you).

5100's are vehicle specific. Bilstein uses these part numbers for a specific application for a specific vehicle based on specs (length col/ext and valving). The 5100's carry a lifetime warranty.

5125 are a 5100 sold as a "universal" application based on length and valving. Identical shock as the 5100's, just sold differently. The 5125's only have a 2 year warranty because they are not vehicle specific based.

The same is of the 5160's and 5165's. 5160's are vehicle specific, the 5165's are a universal. Both are identical shocks, just different part numbers.

If you need help choosing what exact shock you need feel free to give us a call or shot us an email and we can pull out our Bilstein book and get you part numbers based on the specs you want.

i run the 255/70 5150s. i like them. get that valving, not the other (those are for dual shock applications). i have the 12" stroke ones. you will be looking in that range as well.

found some just like your 5150s and some again that will work in 5165. ive got few questions for you. did you have enough room for the crossflow reservoir in the tire well? i know the one on the 5165 is a bit bigger but i guess i can mount it up towards the front bumper if not. also what rear shocks did you get? I'm thinking more than likely ill get 5150s for the back with lower valving as Backdraft said. are you running 4wd or 2wd springs?

yeah they fit without problems. the resi can spin 360 degrees so you can put it wherever you want. i have a homemade adapter up top and the normal style bar pin on the axle. i have the 5125s out back that i bought used so i don't know the valving. but just by pushing on them i would say they are pretty close to the 5150s. i have 2wd springs.