Lifting 1987 comanche long bed.

I want my truck to be as high as my friends XJ that has a 4.5''RC lift. So I was thinking about getting the same thing he got. His lift came with EVERYTHING upper and lower control arms and all that good stuff. BUT I just found out the rear leafs are different. Any way to make it work?

Is there any luck in calling up RC and askng them to leave the leaf pack out and subtract the differance off the lift price?

I'm very set on doing weld-on SOA in the rear. But need new leafs. Leafs that arent TOO stiff and can articulate well. I want to put a small trailer on from time to time. I was looking at the hell creek MT springs. Are these too stiff for off-road? And If I throw these on and do SOA will this be way more than 4.5''in the rear?

Any help is good help

SOA in the rear with your stock spring will work well with 6.5" lift up front. If you want 4.5", Motion Offroad and Hell Creek (both members here) have 4.5" lift springs for Comanches. I think both their springs are the same, from the same manufacturer.

Hell Creek makes their springs. don't know where MO gets theirs.

if you can find some 2wd MJ leafs in good shape, they should give you less lift when going SOA. I got about 5" outta mine. or you can keep your current MJ main leaf and put some XJ or Explorer leafs under it. both have less arch in their packs and you can mix and match them with MJ leafs to get the height you want. :thumbsup: just make sure all the leafs are properly supported. and I suggest cutting of the eyes of that XJ or explorer main leaf and inserting it in as your #2 leaf. it helps support the long MJ main and helps limit spring-wrap.

My 2wd MJ leafs with a second MJ main leaf as the #2 leaf.

use a big C-clamp to hold down the pressure, cut the bolt off with a grinder, and slowly release the leafs. you might need to whack it with a hammer to free up the bolt if the rust is bad.

always buy new hardware! grade 8 cap head bolts are available at the hardware store.

If you find some 2wd leafs (car-part.com might help ya out), Hell Creek sells what is essentially a new main leaf without the eyes as an AAL that doesn't add lift, but adds support. It comes with the hardware you'll need to put the leafs back together. I run them on my 90. :thumbsup: