axle dilema

My jeep has the wonderful 35c in the back so I'm looking to upgrade it. At the moment I can get a ford 8.8 for it or should I hold out for a 44? I'm really not sure what I want to do, I know the differences between the two are minimal but the danas are so hard to come by does anyone have any gripes with the 8.8?

The 8.8 is too narrow for the wheels to clear the inside of the wheel wells (they work in Cherokees, though), so you'd need wheel spacers. You also need to adapt the flange yoke to your driveshaft, either with a 1310/1350 conversion u joint, or with a 1310 flange yoke (off a crown vic?).

Don't know about driveshaft length.

Another option that is cheap and easy to come by because there are millions of them in the junk yards is a Chrysler 8.25" out of a Cherokee. If you get a 97 or newer one the 29 spline shafts and gears are nearly as large as a D44, the axle tube is actually larger. Overall pretty much identical in strength. Exact same width as your D35, but the nose is 1" longer, so your driveshaft may need to be shortened a bit. 96 and older use thinner 27 spline shafts that are just marginally stronger than D35 ones.

Don't know what you plan to use your truck for, but my 8.25" has survived for a few years now (this past year with a locker) running 35" tires going off road once a month or more. Front axle, however, is a different story.

If you plan on having rear disc brakes somewhere down the road you can prob find a 8.8 with discs and the right gear ratio that your looking for before you come across a decent 44, 8.25s are great and I remember you saying you wanted around 6.5" of lift and that 1" extra of yoke will help down the road when your lifted. You would have to cut and reweld shock mounts on the 8.25, all 3 axles are good upgrades from the turdy5 :thumbsup:

I would put discs on whatever I got anyway, so the 8.8 is a positive there and I would need to do shock mounts and spring perches. My axle ratio I believe is 3.07 so I'm not going to find anything with that ratio which means I'll have to re gear no matter what.

Grand Cherokee D35 disk brakes only need the center hole enlarged for the 8.25" larger diameter axle tube to bolt onto a 8.25". Bolt holes line up perfectly. I used a 2.75" hole saw acting like a "centering bit" stacked inside a 3" to drill them out. Other people have used a dremel or die grinder. Either way, easy as pie.

Don't know about disk brake options for a D44 as I never messed with one.

Any of those options are good ones, I don't know if your running larger tires on your jeep or not.But id say find whichever you can with stock 4.10 gears.Then swap in the matching R&P in the front to match the 4.10s.3.07 gearing is pretty anemic no matter what your running.There were several exploders (8.8s) that came with 4.10s and several diff 44 applications too.don't forget the ford 9" too cheap very strong and easy R&P setups.