No name yet....but it's coming... (Edit: The Cheif)

Yeah, the shock mount idea saved me some cash too, though I did burn through a few cutting wheels. I wish I could take credit for it, but I got the idea off of GoJeep's website. I ordered a WJ master cylinder and booster that I'll be putting in as well as all new brake lines when I get around to it. This weekend promises to be nice, so that's when I'll get started. I've got a lot of other work to get done this week before I can play with the Cheif.

Just realized today, after I had one of the shock mounts welded up, that they won't work becase they are perpendicular to the axle, and they need to be parallel. I forgot to check that one :nuts: . Oh well, guess I'll order up some of those too....

I did manage to get both new axles in yesterday, SOA in the back, added a spacer in the front, not sure yet how level it sits right now. Installed some JKS discos along the way. I decided to run all new brake lines since everything was rusted tight. I cut that all out, swapped in a master cylinder and booster from an 02 WJ (found a couple good writeups on NAXJA), an XJ proportioning valve, Chevy lines for the front, Dakota for the back.

Not the prettiest welds in the world, but not bad either. As you can see, I'll be picking up some new U-bolts this week as well....

Here's how The Chief sat while I turned it around in the driveway so I could work on the front axle. It's a bit tall for 31's, but that's all I've got right now, so they'll have to do. I did almost get stuck in the driveway though. It was kinda funny, I don't have any shocks in the rear, so it was hopping all over the place; my idle is really high right now, so I had to feather the clutch; I didn't want to put it in 4wd, because I was running two different gear ratios; I only had front brakes and the rear lines were just crimped, so I was losing fluid.....I thought I was done for, I was all over the place. I toughed it out though.....

I measured up the rear as I held the old fender flare in place, and I think I'm right at about 25.5" from hub to bottom of flare, not sure about the front yet, it's still on the jackstands so I can finish the brakes this week. Then I'll be able to measure up for some shocks. jamminz.gif

Just realized today, after I had one of the shock mounts welded up, that they won't work becase they are perpendicular to the axle, and they need to be parallel. I forgot to check that one :nuts: . Oh well, guess I'll order up some of those too....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those should be fine. The shock ends rotate, so you can just turn the shocks to have one end 90 degress off of the other. Isn't that how they are stock anyways?

• 1 month later...

I just realized it's been quite awhile since I've updated this thread, so now's as good a time as any.

First up was some engine work. I replaced (sucessfully on the first try) the rear main seal; the oil pan gasket; the valve cover gasket. I thought that would cure all my oil leaks, but I was wrong. I've got somethin leaking out the front of the block that I haven't identified the source of yet. I swaped out my old injectors for a set of Ford 19lb with new O-rings and the whole deal. While I was at it, I painted up the valve cover, just for something different.

Then it was on to the suspension. I picked up a set of used RE drop brackets for $145 to my doorstep! I was pretty stoked. I did have to come up with my own spacers. I picked up a 2' piece of iron pipe from the Depot and cut off two 2" sections that I used for crush sleeves/spacers instead of trying to order up the one's from RE. I didn't get any pics of the brackets before I put them on, but they're on now!

I also pulled a pitman arm from a ZJ at the junk yard, so I swapped that in as well. That gained me 3/4"-1" of drop, I didn't exactly measure it, but it's close to that.

To solve my track bar issues, I ordered the whole setup from TNT Customs. Let me tell you, this thing is SWEET!!! It is beefy as all get out. It's got the superflex upper joint, and a rubber busing at the bottom. I think the threads on the adjuster are like 1 1/4"! Here's some prep shots, and then the whole front end after the install.

Lastly, I finished up the front clip swap, except for the grille, it's supposed to be in the mail. Came out pretty good. I decided to stick with the older bumper caps cause I wasn't going to swap bumpers, and I'm also going to end up putting TJ flares on (PA state law). I managed to find a construction site I could get some good poser flex on. I used the opportunity to measure for new shocks. Oh, I also picked up a set of used 33" Claws, so those will go on this week as well. Here she is with the 31's still on:

Did you keep your older fenders and hood? Looks like you just swapped the header pannel? Fairly easy swap was it? Looking to do the same on my MJ.

Also, hurry with the 33 pics, debating on that or 32's :cheers:

Yeah I just left my hood and fenders. The XJ I got the clip off of was a silver color and I didn't feel like hassling with painting up the hood and fenders. The rest of the truck isn't all that pretty anyway. It was a fairly easy swap, I'm working on coming up with a diagram for the wiring, look for a post in the Tech section in the next week. I should have the 33's on this week as well. jamminz.gif

More progress. I got my shocks in the mail the other day, and I had the hassle of dealing with swapping bushings and sleeves. I got that all straightened out after paying out the wazoo to have a shop do the bushings for me. I ordered Trailmaster SSV's, ran me about $50/each from Quadratec, and I am really pleased with them.

I measured for them myself, so I was a bit leary of how it would all turn out, but it worked out. I definatly have more down-travel than up-travel, but I should be okay. I'm sure I've got no less up-travel than a stock MJ, so it should be fine. '

I ended up throwing in a pair of 1" spacers to even things out, and I like the stance better now. Overall, that means I'm running 4.5" coils, topped by a 2" spacer and a 1" spacer for approximately 7.5" in the front. I never thought I would be that tall, but it looks good.

I also had my 33's mounted and balanced, also cost me an arm and a leg, freakin' $40 a wheel to remove my 31's and mount my 33's! :headpop: But it looks good. I opted to go with a 31" spare, cause I knew I wouldn't have to worry about it on the OEM spare mount.

I also got my front TJ flares mounted. I used my angle grinder with a metal cut-off wheel to trim the fenders and to modify the flares, it worked pretty well. I kept the front of the flares right on top of the bumper caps, or even with the bottom of the sidemakers, and kept the rear of the flares even with the bottom of the door, right at the fender edge. I think it looks good, not too big of a gaping opening. I marked and cut the fender so it hit right on the lip the TJ flare has that overlaps into the wheel well. I opted to pull out the liners, maybe I'll get around to putting them, or something else in, maybe not. I just used some 3/16" small bolts and washers to mount them up, using the TJ mounting holes. Worked out pretty good. Looks like they're not quite wide enough, not by PA's state standards anyways. We'll have to see what happens come inspection time......

Here's a few finished pics. That's my DD next to the Chief, a '98 XJ.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found