Mystery Tube

Hi there CC.

This is my first post here, so bear with my lack of knowledge.

I've been changing the entire clutch assembly (SC, MC, clutch pad, pressure plate, etc.) out in my 88 MJ for the past week between my college classes (hard as hell to do alone and without the correct tools). The good news is that I'm just about done.

Then I found this.

I was looking all over for the hole it came out of, but wasn't able to locate it. I'm guessing its some sort of vent line, maybe for the differential?

If anyone knows what this is, the help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

the answer to this question would provide a good clue for me: Where was the tube mounted to the chassis/body and how long is it?

assessing it just from the cream colored end that is attached to it, it looks like an axle/transmission/transfer case vent tube as stated earlier.

This will be difficult to find. I had my engine out and I was on my hands and knees behind the differential and I still couldn't see it. As I remember it was on the back-side of the pumkin about 2:00, I think mine came in from the back side horizontal into a flat area just above the axle tube. If the hole has any crud on it you will have to take a small pick and probe for the opening. If you do find the hole try not to push debris back into the hole, use a spring hook and q-tip to clean it out.