newbie intro and 2wd to 4wd questions...searched already.

Well hello everyone. I'm just moving into the 4wheeling scene (away from the import compact scene, bored with it) so I'm kinda of an extreme newbie. I figuired turning 25 in May, so might as well find a knew way to endanger myself! Hehe! (street racing is boring now).

Well, actually, my first auto was a 85 yota(toyota) 4X4, lifted with 35's passed downed from my pop's. I was only sixteen and thought that all the purty gurls only liked sports cars...so I got a 86 supra within a few month and moved away from the 4wheeling scene. The truck is gone now, but I sure do miss it.

Both my brother n laws have toyotas 4X4's (a 90 extra cab and a 96 tacoma), so I decided to go with a different platform. After some research, I have become extremely addicted to the jeep comanche! So here I am.

Now, I don't actually have a comanche yet, only because I can't find a good one (let alone just finding one). But I ran across a good deal on a 91 comanche equiped with the 4.0 and a 5 speed, but the only downsides is that it's only 2wd and the e-brake doesn't work.

Now, my first mod would be a changover to 4wd. I've been doing a lot of reading (especially on this forum). In one of the post the 2wd to 4wd topic was discussed and I found this list thanks to Pete as quoted:

"Personally I feel it's the best way to build a Comanche. Very Happy

Start with the size engine you want, A/C or not, auto or manual, and longbed or shortbed. These are the important choices as they are the hardest changes to make. The rest is bolt-in if you stick with Jeep parts.

At the very least you'll need :

-4wd trans and t-case (the best way to buy them together),

-front driveshaft from an MJ/XJ that has the same engine/tranny that you have so you know it's the right length,

-t-case shift linkage, shifter assembly, and that little bracket that bolts to the body to support said linkage,

-Rear shaft from a 4x4 MJ with the same engine/trans (or have the 2wd shaft cut down)

-MJ/XJ front axle that matches your rear gear ratio (this can either match the stock one or hopefully you can get a better ratio to match the bigger tires I'm sure you want, then get a rear axle to match) I recommend a non-CAD axle that has the bigger U-joints.

-If you buy a rear axle, I recommend an 8.8 axle from a 95+ Ford Explorer which is stronger than a Dana 44 and can be found with 3.54/3.73/4.10 gears, disk brakes, and posi (any rear axle that didn't come from under an MJ will need new leaf pads welded on)

-And get a factory shop manual too. If you buy an 87-88 truck, get the 89 shop manual. It's better than the older ones and the trucks are essentially the same.

There are a lot of little details and particulars that can give you headaches when you try to mate everything up, so when you find something, ask about it before you plunk down money at the junkyard.

Jeep on!

--Pete"

Newbie here, so first off, MJ is for comanche and XJ, is for Cherokee right? What is non-CAD? Now I can source everything I need from a Cherokee with the exception of the back driveshaft correct (this has to be sourced from a Comanche)? Reason is I have a very good deal on a (donor)'88 cherokee limited 4X4 that is aleady lifted on Ranchos, I believe it's a 4.0 also.

So the main question is what years and model jeeps can I source from to do a 2wd to 4wd conversion and same question if I want to do power windows and mirrors also? I want to keep the A/C (California weather is a killer in the summer).

My goals are to end up with 4.10 gears, lifted at least 3"(5" max) running at least 33's or 32's. I'm not quite ready for the 8.8 ford axle, just want the 4X4 working first. Oh yeah, can I change the e-brake over from the Cherokee to the Comanche?

Thanks in advance!

CAD- Central Axle Disconnect (it's found on the pass. side of many jeep front axles, controlled by vacuum).

XJ's (Cherokee's) make great donors, just about everything with the drivetrain is a direct bolt-in from similar years.

A non-working ebrake could be as simple as adjusting the rear brake shoes, or replacing worn brake shoes. Otherwise it could be bad ebrake cables, which are an inexpesive replacement from the parts stores. XJ ebrake cables are quite a bit different. Both longbed and shortbed MJ's use the same ebrake cables on both sides.

starfox, welcome to the forum. Although i have not done this conversion (mine is already 4WD) I would think that the best source vehicle, other than another MJ, would be a 91-93 XJ (Cherokee) with the same engine as the one you are looking at. Yes, a non CAD axle would be preferable, but they are found in XJ/MJ's that have the 'Select Trac' t-case (NP-242) and are most likely mated to the AW-4 auto tranny (i don't know why). Also. the wiring for the accessories that you want should match up well. :idea:

Yes and yes.

Of course, needing the proper driveshaft might be a good excuse to go SYE and a CV driveshaft. Especially if you're lifting it 5+ inches.

Thanks 87manche...I know what a SYE is (Slip Yoke Eliminator), but what is a CV driveshaft and the benefits of upgrading both? Forgive my newbee stupidity, but got to learn somehow. Thanks.

Tom Woods - http://www.4xshaft.com/

High Angle - http://www.highangledriveline.com/

Tom Woods is top notch. They had mine made and shipped in 2 days. They're expensive though.

High Angle has a good reputation amongst the hardcores. I'd probably try them if I was to do it over.

Oh yeah, it's not really a CV driveshaft. It's a double cardon. Yeah, I just have to be picky. CVs suck.