A source to cross reference shocks (Now with shock Question)

The KYB G2s are now special order for me or order on line and wait a week. I have the KYBs in the front and Monroes in the rear.......I will NEVER again spend money on Monroes.

I am accustom to Bilsteins all around but I don't have $400 to spend on shocks but NEED to get these Monroes off ASAP!

For you Rancho owners- Are Ranchos over rated? I'm considering the 5000s, what can I expect?

BTW, I like the KYB, good shock for the money but once you've used Bilsteins.......nothing compares.

Thanks

I am accustom to Bilsteins all around but I don't have $400 to spend on shocks but NEED to get these Monroes off ASAP!

s

Any reason to remove the Monroes (Age, ride quality going down, etc) or just prefer Bilsteins by a metric ton more?

Funny.

I had KYBs on my Cherokee for about a week -- took 'em off, replaced with Monroe and have never regretted it.

You do realize that Monroe and Rancho are the same company (Tenneco), right? If you don't like Monroes (which series?), I doubt you'll like Rancho 5000. They ride pretty harsh. Maybe the 8000 (if they still offer that series)?

I had the Bilsteins on a Ranger which for a truck actually handled pretty well already but he Bilsteins really woke it up.

Yeah I like a really stiff ride and I have little tolerance for sway and lean in turns.......lotta back winding roads here in the mountains. I also don't like the the truck to be unsettled after hitting a bump.

My Comanche is stock height and I don't expect a performance suspension by any means but damn...........I can feel the difference in behavior from the front to rear with no payload and I don't like it.

BTW the KYB and Monroes are new........about 6 weeks old. I had enough PP money to order all my front end parts from RockAuto but not the rear shock......so I settled for Advanced Auto local and cash for the Monroes.....so sorry.

And no I did not know that Monroe and Rancho were one in the same, thanks.

Maybe I'll wait the week for the shipping.

BTW the KYB and Monroes are new........about 6 weeks old. I had enough PP money to order all my front end parts from RockAuto but not the rear shock......so I settled for Advanced Auto local and cash for the Monroes.....so sorry.

But WHICH Monroe shocks did you buy? It isn't fair to compare Monroes cheapest shock with another company's premium, performance shock.

FWIW, it was exactly the type of driving you describe that I found the KYBs to be so horrible for -- especially the rears. They were fine over big dips, but over small cracks and ripples in the pavement they were unable to keep up, and the tail end (of a Cherokee, which is heavier than an empty MJ) was getting bounced all over the road.

Personally, for your application I'd suggest the Monroe (or Rancho) Reflex shocks, but if you're dead set against Monroe, don't buy 'em on my say-so.

But WHICH Monroe shocks did you buy? It isn't fair to compare Monroes cheapest shock with another companies premium, performance shock.

FWIW, it was exactly the type of driving you describe that I found the KYBs to be so horrible for -- especially the rears. They were fine over big dips, but over small cracks and ripples in the pavement they were unable to keep up, and the tail end (of a Cherokee, which is heavier than an empty MJ) was getting bounced all over the road.

Personally, for your application I'd suggest the Monroe (or Rancho) Reflex shocks, but if you're dead set against Monroe, don't buy 'em on my say-so.

I don't remember the model # but yeah the cheapest.....frankly the only shock Advance stocks for the Comanche in store.

And admittedly I have not tried a better Monroe so maybe I should not have dismissed them. I did run by Napa today and get a feel of the Ranchos, pretty stiff, maybe I'll like them better.

Let me ask-

Will worn spring bushings give a sloppy ride? To the degree that it will really be noticeable?

If so..........I priced the bushings at about $30 each......$120 for a set. Would I be better off in the long run to just replace the whole springs?

• 2 weeks later...