hello to all my name is tony pardue from jonesville nc. I bought a 86 comanche 2.5 auto. i went and looked at a year unknow comanche 4x4 2.8 5 speed. Its been turn over i going to buy it. what will be the best way to change my over to the 5 speed and 4x4. I would like to keep my 2.5 or go to a 4.0 any help would be gratfull thanks i like this site

If it's a 2.8 I think that's gonna be an 86 as well. Your best bet would be to find a donor Cherokee, manual, 4.0l, 4x4 and do a complete swap. You'll get everything you want at one shot: Tranny, motor, axles, harness, computer, transfer case etc. Probably could find one pretty cheap on CL if you keep your eyes open.

I bought a 86 comanche 2.5 auto. i went and looked at a year unknow comanche 4x4 2.8 5 speed. Its been turn over i going to buy it. what will be the best way to change my over to the 5 speed and 4x4. I would like to keep my 2.5 or go to a 4.0 any help would be gratfull thanks i like this site

:wavey: Welcome!

There are those who know more than me, but I've been trying to pay attention and learn. Someone will step in if I'm wrong.

Unless it has undergone a motor swap, the 2.8 4x4 you're looking at is an '86. That was the only year that the 2.8 was available, as it was replaced by the 4.0 in '87. The 5-speed in that truck should be an AX-5, and the auto in your truck should be an A904. According to the ever-reliable Wikipedia, both transmissions (AX-5 and A904) were available with either engine (2.5 I4 or 2.8 V6) so, in theory, you could put that 5-speed behind your 2.5L. The issue I see would be making sure that the AX-5 has the correct bellhousing to mount to your 2.5, instead of the 2.8 it's currently mated to. Someone who has more hands-on experience will have to answer that question, as I don't know. All of the 4x4 hardware should bolt up underneath your truck just fine.

The one thing you can't do is put a 4.0 in front of the AX-5. If you want a 4.0 and a 5-speed, you'll want to find an AX-15 from a 1990 or later Cherokee or Comanche. I think they also came in the Wrangler, but I don't know which years.

Post some pics of your trucks!

The 2.8 and 2.5 use the same bellhousing. it should be a direct swap, and 86 used an external slave so you should not have any issues with that either. I am preparing to do this same swap on my 2.5. As far as axles, Youll need to see what your rear axle gearing is in the 2.5. There are conflicting reports on the early models as to what gears are behind an auto 2.5. It could be 4:56. It might also be 4:10. If it is 4:10 youre in luck as the donor 2.8 5 speed should be 4:10 as well and youll only need to swap in the front axle to make everything correct. All the axle numbers will need to be confirmed to make sure they are correct though for your needs. The auto was not electronically controlled, so you will not have any problems electrically swapping in a manual trans. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out.