starter motor help

I bought a new starter last year after my other one died. well the new one died today (had to get pull started by a forklift at work). Is there anyway to protect the starter from the usual trail abuse (mud, water)? or can I rebuild them easily? is it just cleaning the gunk from them and hooking them back up or is there a lot more to it? or do I just have to keep buying new ones?

I don't drive the truck all that often so I have pretty much gotten under 75 starts on the new starter I don't want to have to get a new one.

Before you can take steps to prevent damage to the starter you have to know whats damaging it. Take it apart and see whats damaged, Inspect the brushes, armature, and sliding gear. Is water, mud getting inside. Don't over look the solenoid.

Before you can take steps to prevent damage to the starter you have to know whats damaging it. Take it apart and see whats damaged, Inspect the brushes, armature, and sliding gear. Is water, mud getting inside. Don't over look the solenoid.

I will check it out when I swap it. pretty sure it isn't the solenoid because I use the screwdriver bypass method and it still didn't fire up.

I will check it out when I swap it. pretty sure it isn't the solenoid because I use the screwdriver bypass method and it still didn't fire up.

Where are you getting the starters from ?

Where are you getting the starters from ?

the first one was on the MJ when I bought it, the other one was ordered for me by a friend with an off road shop. they have a ton of suppliers they order stuff from so I'm not sure where exactly it came from. but I will have to check and see if its under warranty. luckily I have a whole 97 Cherokee I can pick one from for now.

Suggestion...

I just did this on my MJ and spent a few minutes to clean the connections at the starter relay, the battery cables, and the actual starter connections. I like to use some stuff called "DeOx" (from the local HVAC supply store) and I like to use that on the electrical connections to prevent oxidation at those key spots.

I ended up buying new cables (battery to ground and battery to starter) at the same time. $60 well spent.