Balls. I swore I wasn't going to do much to this thing.

But, new projects are always fun..

Red/Maroon 86 2.5/AX5 longbed.

Wanted something good on gas, unique, 4x4 and pickup. Not much more unique than an MJ.

I've had only one Jeep, my TJ, but I've been the wrencher on many a friends Jeeps.. XJ, ZJ, CJ, YJ. So I wanted something cool, but I found this instead... :rotf:

You'll note, please, the X-racing 'eyebrow' sticker, and the light up washer nozzles... and the tracks of what used to be racing stripes... on a 2.5. Someone needs to be smacked.

Thrush, Hurst, and K&N.. I'm pretty sure two of the three don't even make anything for the MJs that isn't generic.

Well, that's bare.

Man, I feel short. Also, it's @#$%ing up my hair, which is unsatisfactory.

There are some pros, someone did a gauge swap.

Although I want the newer gauges already. These just look .. dated.

Have nothing against Thrush and Hurst, but they don't belong.

Took a friggin chisel to get the eyebrow off

Cherry bomb :doh:

What's this?

AW4 shift cables and cooler lines? time to go.. there's enough mystery $#!& on this thing already..

Naked flywheel huh?

So that's what this thing is for.

Hey neat! Balls. It needs work, and I don't know get it open to fix it.

Who let the smoke out? :fs2:

That one cost me a new valve cover gasket, and a new valve cover. Stupid plastic.

And then, hell, I might as well do

plugs

wires

cap

rotor

belts

hoses

battery terminals

air filter

pcv

oil change/filter (not fram)

Hmm.. speaking of belts, how the hell does this work?

Ahah! The pivot is the one in the -middle- Got it.

Inspection plate back on!

Fixed the backup lights by ... ahem .. altering the plug to fit.

So, in the middle of all of this, I scored some stock XJ wheels, cleaned em up and spraybombed them black, along with wiring up a new license plate light, and spraybombing the back bumper and the ridiculous fart cannon exhaust tips.

So, until I get more pictures, that brings us to today [last month before my radiator took a $#!&]

I would venture a guess that the full gauge cluster is original. I say that because this truck seems pretty well "optioned" out. It's got the retractable underhood light and a cargo light.

Some auto Comanche's have the gear selector on the dash, but I believe that in '86, the gear selector display was mounted right on the column, itself - at least that's how our auto '86 was.

How do you know someone did a gauge swap and that cluster is not original?

In answer, I don't know that it was a swap, just a hunch. I hadn't come across anything that suggested -all- of the gauges were an option in the first model year. I may have missed something in my searching. The way the tach rests at 2K reminds me of one of jimoshel's swaps.

I would venture a guess that the full gauge cluster is original. I say that because this truck seems pretty well "optioned" out. It's got the retractable underhood light and a cargo light.

Some auto Comanche's have the gear selector on the dash, but I believe that in '86, the gear selector display was mounted right on the column, itself - at least that's how our auto '86 was.

It's possible, but there's no way to know from the column since the whole column is a transplant from another wrecked MJ, the AX5 donor. Hazards of owning a Frankentruck. :D

Akula, I might PM you soon. I like the underhood light, but I bought a manually retracting Chevy light I'm going to use instead. I'll try to fix the ITT and sell it.