Gauge Cluster Question

I'm swapping a 92 4.0 into my 89 2.5 MJ.

The cluster in the 89 has different plugs then the cluster from the 92. Is this something that has to spliced to use the newer cluster with the different plugs? OR what are my options here?

i believe the 92 had an electronic speedometer so no cable. you will at least have to change the speedometer head to use the old one with cable drive. See how the printed circuit boards match up to each other.....probably more trouble than its worth....

Ok. So what do all the guys that are doing H.O. swaps doing for gauge clusters? The stock cluster in the 89 was the plain jane with just a speedo and BIG fuel gauge.

The cluster from the HO Jeep has all gauges and no idiot lights.

Find a renix cluster that has all the gauges. I believe that an 88 to 90 cluster is plug and play in your jeep, with the correct speedometer connection. you will have to swap out the sensors for oil pressure and temp. the new temp sensor goes into the thermostat neck.

Ended up lucking out on this deal for a cluster. Came across a 87 XJ with a full cluster, Dana 44, and a Non disco 30. Going to pluck the axles, cluster, trans, t-case out of it and scrap the rest. I do also plan to save the doors for the wing windows also.

Is it possible to change the mileage on the cluster to match the miles on the Jeep? I have seen folks swap the speedo for their old one to keep the mileage so I'm thinking not, but I figured I would ask anyway. :dunno:

Cluster you're looking for will have all gauges but will have a blue background instead of white

This 87 has gauges with a BLACK background....I didnt know they put that style in the renix jeeps. Unless it was swapped in, I will update when I tear it apart.

I pulled the cluster outa the 87 XJ today. Looks like it will plug in just fine. Guess its only 15k off at 238k :eek: :thumbsup:

musta been swapped at one time or another...There was a oil change sticker from WalMart on the windsheid that said the next oil change was due at 271k and that was in 2004. :yes: Guess the guy wasnt kidding that the jeep probably had over 300k!!