Death Wobble at around 50 mph

So I just recently installed coil spacers and after it was all said and done I noticed that when I get up to highway speeds the front end starts wobbling uncontrollably. :( I was wondering if perhaps something wasn't tightened properly because theoretically nothing should have changed when adding the spacers. I would appreciate y'alls input on the matter so I can take care of this quickly.

Track bar angle has changed, as well as the control arms and the alignment. Make sure it's not a tire balance issue first, have them balanced.

Make sure both ends of your track bar are tight. Track bar torque should be ~80 fp.

Also, if you disconnected your control arms installing the spacers, they need to be torqued down with tires on ground, weight on the suspension.

:agree:

With the inverted Y steering setup our Jeeps use, lift causes toe-in. Too much toe-in can induce death wobble.

(Speaking from experience here. After lifting 4" I had death wobble at only 30mph so bad it fried the alternator bearings, dropped one of my sun visors and popped the face plate of he radio off. After eliminating any other possible causes first, one at a time, I found I had 2" toe in.)

• 1 month later...

Just started experiencing the "death wobble" again. :fs1: When I am doing 45 or above if I hit any bumps the front end wobbles uncontrollably. I recently changed out the steering stabilizer which didn't change a thing. It started after I installed 1.75" coil spacers. Could these be the problem? Or perhaps not everything was tightened to spec? I am at a loss and would really appreciate any help I can get.

a 2" lift shouldnt throw things off to bad IMO..... but if u removed ur camber bolts on the houseing to do ur install they should have went back in the same way they came out......

on a 2" lift u should have to ajust much if any i never have and not once dd i get the DW or uneven wear on tires etc..... messure the inside of ur back tires from tire to tire and then messure the inside of ur front tire to tire the front should be 1/8th toed in when jacked up.....u will need to ajust with the ajustment sleve on drag link to get ur steering wheel straight.... then messure up ur front tires again and ajust with ur tie-rod by losing the bolts on the sleves then use a pipe wrench to get some leverage.... its a back yard alignment but they work IMO.....

of and a steering stabalizer won't cure anything all it does is mask ur problem... if all bushings r good and everything is tight and down to spec camber etc etc u don't even need a steering stabalizer

but many things can cause death wobble here r a few

lose wheel nuts < it happens to the best of us >

bad track bar bushing

bad u-joint

bad wheel bearing

alignment

scalloped tires

uneven tire pressure

some tires in general

caster camber bein off

have a buddy saw ur steering wheel back and forth and u go under and watch ur track bar even the slightest little bit of play in the bottom bushing can give u the DW's ...... if u need a new bushing i would rrecomend using an oem one like whats in there all ready as they hold up way better then aftermarcket poly bushings.... u will need to take track bar off and take it in to get pressed out and a new on pressed on... but way better quality

So I just recently installed coil spacers and after it was all said and done I noticed that when I get up to highway speeds the front end starts wobbling uncontrollably. :( I was wondering if perhaps something wasn't tightened properly because theoretically nothing should have changed when adding the spacers. I would appreciate y'alls input on the matter so I can take care of this quickly.

Theoretically -- and actually -- the caster angle changed, and caster is an important factor in keeping death wobble at bay.

That said, if it starts at 50 to 55 MPH, the underlying cause is tire balance.