Interior and dash lights, parking brake release

I don't have any lights lighting up on the inside of the truck when the headlights are on. The dash lights seem to work, as the blinker lights come on, and the shift indicator and 4wd indicator work, but there is no backlighting to the dash or any of the overhead lights. I replaced the headlight switch and the lights in the instrument panel are good, any other ideas?

I'm also looking for a parking brake release pull and cable, new or used. I ordered one off of www.partsamerica.com, but aparently it is out of stock. This is one item that doesn't swap over from a Cherokee. Anybody have any luck swaping the whole lever in from an XJ? Which would be easier, finding a release or switching setups?

I need to get both of these things ironed out in order to pass PA inspection by the end of the month. Thanks ahead of time...

the dash lights are fed from the parking lamp circuit. Are the parking lamps working?

Mine decided to cook the parking lamp fuse the other day and I lost the dash lamps and my parking lamps.

It's looking right now like I have a short in the parking lamp circuit under the dash.

The parking lamp circuit is a dark blue wire, and you can unplug the rear and front harness to narrow down where the short is.

The other possibility is the fuse block, mine was a mess and it took a few hours to get it back in good working order, circuits that were supposed to be powered from a common source were a big problem, and in that mess was the lighting circuits.

Additionally, there's a small 5A fuse in the upper right corner of the fuseblock (think it's labeled "INST"). Check to see if it's blown. If it's ok, wiggle it around a bit (pull it out slightly also) to make sure it's making good contact. I fought with my dash light for about a month one time until I discovered that one out :D

Jeff

Thanks for pointing out the fuse, I'll check that.

Secondly, now that you mention it, my parking lamps aren't working either, I'll check that out. If the rain ever slows down. Ahhh, another downside to not owning a garage..... :cry:

Then the 5A fuse is probably ok (check it anyway). The engineering gurus at AMC designed that dual circuit like that on purpose....the dash lights go out if the brake lights go out, to let the driver know there's no brake light illumination in the rear. Kinda of a "safety feature" of sorts...

And I feel your pain on the garage. I don't have one either. Those coin-operated wishy-washy car washes work in a pinch, tho :D (especially when it's raining 'cause there's usually noone in the bays)

Jeff