Key Locked in Column

When I go to turn my truck off, the key won't rotate all the way to the unlocked position where I can pull it out of the column. In order for me to get it out, I have to reach my hand up under the dash and column and push a metal rod forward while turning the key to get it out. Not sure how this system is supposed to work, but it doesn't anymore, and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any ideas?

Remove the switch, the one the wire goes into, on the steering column and inspect it. See if anything is broke or loose on it. If there is, replace it. If it's OK, then put it back and adjust it. There are two screws holding it and the holes are slotted for adjustment. Might try adjusting first before removing.

That pushrod is supose to have a cable on it that runs to the automatic shifter. I have to do the same thing with mine but in my case, the PO put in a steering column from an automatic but its a 5 speed therefore even if I had the cable I got nothing to hook it to to release the ignition.

If I remember correctly, the lever hooks directly to the ignition mechanism and not to a rod on the opposite side of the column. he didnt specify if he has a lever behind the key. if not, then that column came from an automatic. I would guess that there is no lever otherwise he would have mentioned it. I could be wrong though.

I'm not sure about directly behind the ignition, but I looked under the dash and the metal rod goes all the way to a metal brace on the column, where it seems to turn into a metal braided cable, but after about two inches, it has been cut off. So, the question now becomes what should the cable go to? A parking brake? Or something else.

You can see it at the top of the pic, under the ridged tube and above the connector.

That cable is supose to go to an automatic shifter. Sinse you don't have an automatic, that means you need to either get a column for a manual or rig up that rod so it doesnt move. You have the exact same thing i am dealing with.

No, you can set it up to where that rod stays all the way pushed back. Meaning it is pushed towards the steering wheel. If ya find a way to do it let me know so i can do the same. I was thinking maybe using a hose clamp but havent tried anything yet

• 2 months later...

Finally got around to fixing this problem. Although it isn't the prettiest fix around, it is solid and will hold. I took an angled piece of plastic from a head unit install kit(although, I'm sure this could be done more effectively by making it out of sheet metal) and drilled a few holes (for adjustability), and hack sawed off some edges, and formed a channel for the bar. It slid right over it and over top of the plastic connector that is attached to the top of the bar. By blocking that pieces movement, I can shift the key in ignition without having it lock in place.

All of the gauges and bezels clear it perfectly.