Removal of trans/TC when engine is not in place

So, this will be my first attempt at removing a transmission and transfer case from an MJ. I know they're both heavy. I also have a handy-dandy manual which I can refer to, but here's the delimma:

The 86 has no engine in it. The transmission is still attached to the transfer case, and the rear driveshaft is still in place. The AX5 is hanging freely with the TC attached to counterbalance it on the crossmember. The manual I have shows how to remove the transmission and transfer case, but it is for the engine still being in place [removing the TC first then the transmission... which doesn't do much good for this situation]. If I remove the TC the transmission will fall, possibly damaging the transmission or whatever it lands on [exhaust, my fingers, etc] as well as damaging any important wiring I may have missed disconnecting. This will also damage the bolts that hold it to the crossmember. I wish to reuse the transmission and transfer case in the future, so unbolting the crossmember and letting it all 'drop' about 18 or more is not something I wish to do [if it were going to scrap, then yes this is no problem].

I can currently pull back on the gear shift lever and make the transmission move 6 or 7 inches up and down at my whim, as the engine is not in place, to give an indication of how mobile it is. The crossmember is the fulcrum point.

Suggestions? I do not have any specialty jacks or tools at my disposal- only a floor jack and some 4 by 4s, along with jack stands and hand tools.

Remove the shifter cane.

Crib up the tranny/TC with wood, use floor jack to lift assy high enough to take the force off of the cross member.

Remove cross member.

See-Saw the assy to the ground. You will have 2 stacks of cribbing front and back, remove one in front then one in rear.

PIA to be sure, but it can be done.

Don't recommend removing or installing TC by itself because the top bolts can be a real b**** in the vehicle.

There is an adapter sold at O'Reilly's and Autozone that fastens to the jack plate on a standard floor jack that allows the jack to safely handle a transmission/transfer case assembly. (you still have to secure it to the adapter...but snaking a chain up and over the transmission isn't that difficult).

I believe its about $48.00.

There is an adapter sold at O'Reilly's and Autozone that fastens to the jack plate on a standard floor jack that allows the jack to safely handle a transmission/transfer case assembly. (you still have to secure it to the adapter...but snaking a chain up and over the transmission isn't that difficult).

I believe its about $48.00.

Something like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Torin-Bi ... veQ5fTools

I posted along these same lines before, general consensus was that those adapters are a PIA, waste of money, not enough

footprint for a stable base.

I bought this about three years ago http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-cap ... 39178.html

mind you it's not perfect as noted in the reviews, but for what I paid for it and as many times as I've used it, to me it was

worth every penny I spent on it. Recommend... yes.

The jack looks like a great option.

Unfortunately, I do not have an extra $80 to spare to pick it up at the moment, and I wanted to get the tranny/TC out this weekend while its not too hot out.

Looks like I'll be collecting 18" sections of 4by boards and lowering the Jenga towers to get it out. Great suggestion, btw- I hadn't though of doing that to get them out out.

I have taken a 2X4 and after lowering both windows, placed the 2X4 across the sills and used a come-a-long to lower the tranny. Once used a boat winch attached to the 2X. Also by leaving the cross member attached it gives you something to grab to help stabilize everything.

when i was younger a removed a 1934 plymouth transmission by lying underneath it, lowering it with my arms and snaking my body from underneath the car with it on my chest until a could slide it to the ground. hurt my ribs when it slid off as i remember. gotta do what you gotta do. boards a better way.

I have taken a 2X4 and after lowering both windows, placed the 2X4 across the sills and used a come-a-long to lower the tranny. Once used a boat winch attached to the 2X. Also by leaving the cross member attached it gives you something to grab to help stabilize everything.

I can't wait to try this!

Sounds like a decent way to get it on the HF jack, I'm sure I'll find a use for this method on something, thanks Jim.

And the chest press thing, I thought only Indians did this :rotf:

Ok, the tranny and TC are out.

The method used was the 4by method. Took a while, but it did the trick well. The worst part was getting the 8 bolts for the crossmember off, as they seem to never have been off before today... had to use a breaker bar.

Thank you 64 Cheyenne for the wood suggestion!