88 mj idle problem/ stalling

ok lately i've been having an idleing problem. probably for about a month now. when i try to start it, it will fire up but just die. then the second time i try it it usually stays running. somtimes it will almost stall when i push the clutch in to come to a stop but it usually catches itself and idles back up. it doesn't matter if the motor is cold or hot. every time i shut the truck off and go to restart it this happens. i don't know if it's related or not but for as long as i can remember when it's cold out (winter time) i have to let it warm up for a least 5 minutes before driving it. if i don't it usually idles up to about 2000-2500 rpm and stays there until i shut it off and let it set for at least 10 seconds and then i restart it and all is fine.it won't idle below 2000 no matter how long i drive it. i have to shut the truck off. so if anyone can help i appreciate it.

Mine is doing the same thing. Was planning on trying a new IAC, as I've already cleaned mine several times over the years, figure it's time for a new one. I'll be watching this post for more suggestions.

oh and one more thing, i did find out if i give it gas before it stalls the first time i can rev it normally but it will idle really low and want to stall but will eventually idle normally after i drive for a while.

Very unlikley but mine had those same symptoms before the ECU went and left me stranded.... It just shut off while idling 1 night and wouldnt restart, a new PCM and many hours of diag. later it was running like new again. As mentioned likely not your issue since mine was an Auto but ya never know :dunno:

Having same type issue with my 89 auto 4x4. I have replace IAC, TPS and Crank sensor to no change really, The other day going home it started missing and sputtering going home and would not rev above about 2200 rpm. I replaced the Fuel Pump Resistor in hopes that that would fix it. So far it seems to have fixed that and I haven't had any issues with dieing since then. I haven't driven it great distance yet, because i didn't want to be stranded on way to work. I plan on taking it out tomorrow for a nice 100 mile run and see how it does. I will let you know, I hope that fixed both issues.

I have an 89 4ltr and fought the high idle and poor start for months, read a post on here to tighten the manifold bolts for the cure and I laughed, with nothing better to do one day, I checked a couple of the easily accessible bolts and guess what, they were loose. Went thru the entire manifold from front to back and several bolts were very loose. Tightened up all bolts and my idle is down from 2000 to 600-800 and it starts and runs like new. Several of the bolts are very hard to get at but its worth the effort. The loose bolts allow vacum leaks and the resulting poor engine operation.

• 4 weeks later...