Painting the X frame

POR 15 love it, remember plenty of gloves, ‘can’t be stressed enough’ and old clothes,

harder than power-coat, be aware it will fade in direct sunlight becoming an ugly purplish color,

use forethought as to what gets coated and what gets paint… B…

be aware it will fade in direct sunlight becoming an ugly purplish color,

Top coat it ;) I applied the Chassis Coat on top of the POR15. It is UV stable. I don't see why you couldn't apply any sort of under coating or other black paint over the POR15. It takes a long time to scuff the POR15 so it can be top coated. Those foamy sanding blocks and thin foam sand pads will save your hands and arms.

Once you've got the base layer of POR 15 on, you can pretty much put any topcoat over it that you want. I've had great experience with POR15's Chassis Coat, though. I started a trailer project with it - painted most of the trailer with POR 15 and only did a Chassis Coat topcoat on the tongue. It's been over three years since I've touched that and it has seen three NJ summers/winters and the Chassis Coat still looks good as new. The un-topcoated POR 15...not so good :D

Honestly

never thought it would be on its lid that much requiring the UV overcoat… B…

be aware it will fade in direct sunlight becoming an ugly purplish color,

Top coat it ;) I applied the Chassis Coat on top of the POR15. It is UV stable. I don't see why you couldn't apply any sort of under coating or other black paint over the POR15. It takes a long time to scuff the POR15 so it can be top coated. Those foamy sanding blocks and thin foam sand pads will save your hands and arms.

thanks everyone for your help.

I have called around town and no one has ever heard of POR 15 but NAPA and they say it's not available in Canada under that name but they have the "same thing" but with their label on it. so I have a winner.

Now if the rain would $%^& *&^ this weekend I will have it all done.

POR-15

to

POR-15 actually cures with moisture,

and looks more like powdercoating than paint when done.

It can also peel off like powdercoating if it's not applied right

(and sometimes even when it is applied right :( )

But it's hard as nails, and looks smooth when done.

Goodluck with what you got from NAPA,

hopefully it's similar.

If you do use POR make sure you understand the 3 step process or other application methods.

I media blasted the frame and applied POR directly to the blasted surface. Since I couldn't blast the inside of the frame, I treated it with Marine Clean and Metal ready before spraying the POR.