Leaky

Seattle in the winter is a annoying. It rains occasionally. Well...frequently. Well, almost non-stop.

My Comanche leaks a little, in a good rainstorm, about a quart a day. It pools up near the seatbelt mounts by the doors. I'm not sure, but it looks like most of it is coming from those black vents in the side by the windows. Anybody tried sealing these? I'm thinking about using black silicone on the old rubber seal. Or I could replace the seal, or I could use clear sealant around the outside. Let me know if you know something that works.

Inside those vents are little rubber flaps that should keep the rain out even if it got past the black plastic cover. There are plenty of places for water to get in. The seals at the top of the door, the windshield, the rear window, the door seal at the A pillar, the holes in the fire wall above the pedals, all can cause puddling on the floor. Try experimenting with the hose. Another trick is to clean up the area and sprinkle baby powder around. The water will make trails through it and you can then trace the route back to the source. :D

not to jack the thread or anything but.

what is a common spot for water to enter on the passenger side front of the cab... it pools up like its running from the pad up by the firewall back inot the floor, so I'm assuming fire-wall or windshield?

how can you trace the leak? and seal it?

not to jack the thread or anything but.

what is a common spot for water to enter on the passenger side front of the cab... it pools up like its running from the pad up by the firewall back inot the floor, so I'm assuming fire-wall or windshield?

how can you trace the leak? and seal it?

Could be a leak in the windshield, a leak at the door seals, a problem with the A/C drain (which should be up there somewhere) or a problem inside the cowl area. And there's always the chance of something completely new. :D

I have been fighting leaks on my MJ forever, bought it new in 87. Resealed the side vents when I came across the same problem you are describing. Turned out to be rust holes around the rear glass. Even though the glass appears to held in by a full sealing old style gasket, its not. Glass is glued in, with a rubber trim piece pushed in around it. Pull the interior thats behind the seat so you can see exactly where the waters coming from when you hit it with the hose. Pop the glass out and start doing repairs. Good Luck.

Red Dog

I sealed the side vents on both sides with silicone. On the passenger side, it stopped leaking. Still leaking on the driver side. At least I'm halfway there.

I'm going to try readjusting the drivers side door this weekend. It doesn't quite fit right which may let in some water. I'll test the back window as well.