Got a question about my BA-10/5

When I first cracked the fill/drain plugs on my Peugot tranny, on the 88 MJ, out came what I can only describe as goop. It didn't shift well, it popped out of reverse etc. I refilled it with Penzoil Syncromesh the first time around. It shifted 100% better and did not pop out of any gear no matter how much I pushed it, forward OR back. After about 700 miles I drained it again. Less (but still present) goop flowed out the drain hole. I refilled it with the same stuff.

Fast forward - I'm getting ready to drain and fill again (I'm trying to clean it out). I have an AW4 to swap in, but it's problematic so I'm just going to run the BA-10 until it's inevitable demise.

So, my question(s)

1. So far, the Pennzoil Syncromesh has been doing fine. It's expensive. Should I keep using it? Any benefit or detriment to either opinion?

2. I'd like to put in some Lucas stabilizer (cause I saw the cool display at NAPA) to stick the lube to the gears. Yes...No...why? :D

3. Is there something else I can do to clean the thing out?

4. ...and finally would there be any advantage to boosting the LEVEL of the lube, aka, more is better?

I'd be real interested in hearing from guys who have kept their Peugot alive all these years. I have no complaints about how it's working now, except that it feels a little like driving a backhoe.

1. I don't like penzoil everything I have run it in has gumed up just my experiance. I recomend using some rottela.

2. Lucas is great it does make the oil last longer and adhere better.

3.the only way I have ever had them cleaned was at a trans shop they flushed it for me.

4. Do not over fill the trans it will create higher presures with in and blow seals creating an awful mess. And if you run lucase it will keep oil on the gears syncros and bearings at all time.

When I first cracked the fill/drain plugs on my Peugot tranny, on the 88 MJ, out came what I can only describe as goop. It didn't shift well, it popped out of reverse etc. I refilled it with Penzoil Syncromesh the first time around. It shifted 100% better and did not pop out of any gear no matter how much I pushed it, forward OR back. After about 700 miles I drained it again. Less (but still present) goop flowed out the drain hole. I refilled it with the same stuff.

Fast forward - I'm getting ready to drain and fill again (I'm trying to clean it out). I have an AW4 to swap in, but it's problematic so I'm just going to run the BA-10 until it's inevitable demise.

So, my question(s)

1. So far, the Pennzoil Syncromesh has been doing fine. It's expensive. Should I keep using it? Any benefit or detriment to either opinion?

2. I'd like to put in some Lucas stabilizer (cause I saw the cool display at NAPA) to stick the lube to the gears. Yes...No...why? :D

3. Is there something else I can do to clean the thing out?

4. ...and finally would there be any advantage to boosting the LEVEL of the lube, aka, more is better?

I'd be real interested in hearing from guys who have kept their Peugot alive all these years. I have no complaints about how it's working now, except that it feels a little like driving a backhoe.

1. I run Amsoil... for obvious reasons. Syncromesh isn't hurting the trans.. and you admit its cleaning out the crap. Keep going.

2. If you use good lube in the first place no need for junk. The stabilizer is nothing more than a viscosity modifier. If you really want to have thicker lube... just run a heavier viscosity. When you are spinning the little crank... watch all the air get entrained in the lube doctored with Lucas. You do not want a bunch of air in the lube, this creates pockets where the air displaces the lubricant leaving you metal on metal contact. There was a good test of it on Bob.. but it appears to be gone now. You already had issues with shifting while the tranny was full of thick gunk. Why would you want to refill it with clean lube, then thicken the lube??

3. It could be flushed, but it really sounds like you are getting there on your own. I wouldn't waste the time, money and effort.

4. Do not increase the lube level. You can increase the internal pressure and blow out seals. As the lube expands(which all lube does as it heats) it needs somewhere to go, if the tranny is completely full... where is it going to go??