Tough to get in gear.

I have a 86 4x4 2.5L manual tranny comanche.

Ok this problem came out of no where, worked fine yesterday now today it's nearly impossible to get into reverse and it's one hell of a work out to get her into any other gear. The release point on the clutch pedal is less than 1/4 inch now too. Feels like if i could just press 2-3 inches further all would be well. I am thinking it's either my clutch slave or master cylinder but I have never had clutch issues before so I don't know how to check. Any info would be greatly appreciated, also if you have any other ideas as to what the problem could be please let me know.

Given the bad clutch point I'm leaning away from low tranny fluid level, but a clutch problem. Check your fluid level, if it's still full, bleed, and be thankful you have an external slave. At least if you have to replace any of the hydraulic components, you won't need to yank the trans.

Thanks, i'll check everything tomorrow. Today it's even worse. If I don't hold the brake it starts going very very slowly, yesterday the clutch would engage enough to keep it from moving. I looked around to see if I could see if it leaked but I couldnt find anything. I'll know for sure tomorrow. Thank you all again.

Thanks, i'll check everything tomorrow. Today it's even worse. If I don't hold the brake it starts going very very slowly, yesterday the clutch would engage enough to keep it from moving.

FYI, when the vehicle is moving the clutch is engaged. To be able to stop and idle with the tranny in gear, you have to DISengage the clutch. Stepping on the peddle is what should cause the clutch to disengage.

There's a third component to check, too. The flex hose between the clutch master and slave cylinders. I had one let go at a toll booth 100 miles from home (and 300 miles from where I was supposed to be going. Needless to say I turned around, but that trip home was a very interesting 100 miles.

Thank you for clearing that up Eagle, it makes more sense that way. I guess for good reason.

Well I looked around and I can't find the leak for anything but the reserve is bone dry. Going to fill her back up. bleed it and see if I can't track this leak down. Hoping it should all be pretty straight forward from here.

I have a teensy* leak in my slave line/bleeder (don't really remember), which is my problem. Everything is fine for days, weeks, months...and then, ba-da-bing...I'm at a light and I can't get it in to any gear, while the engine is running.

The clutch master holds so little fluid that even just a tiny* leak can be trouble. My fuse box area is dry, and every once in a while I see a little droplet at the slave line union.

My "fix" for now...carry brake fluid.

* Teensy is just about 1/4 of tiny (in my book anyhoo)