Can door vent windows be bought new?

Pretty much wondering what the title says. I got the door vent windows in my 86' that open, the passenger side leaks and the channel the glass is in is starting to rust badly (typical hawaii cancer). Could a new set could be bought?

As much as I enjoy those windows....worst case scenario I have a few sets of fixed vents I can swap in.

IIRC, our own eagle had some problems with these when back when he bought one of his brand new XJ's back in the day. After a couple of warranty repairs, they still leaked.

They stopped the leak eventually though, with a set of fixed ones.

Rob

IIRC, our own eagle had some problems with these when back when he bought one of his brand new XJ's back in the day. After a couple of warranty repairs, they still leaked.

They stopped the leak eventually though, with a set of fixed ones.

Rob

Close.

On the '88 XJ the operable vent windows were a fairly expensive option. I paid extra to get them, and they leaked from the day I bought the vehicle. After two complaints to the dealer, they had me come in when the zone rep was there. He said they all leaked, and the factory had a recommended fix.

"What's the fix?" I asked.

"Replace them with non-operable windows," was the answer.

But ... they wouldn't refund the money I had paid to get the operable windows, so I told him to put his fix where the sun doesn't shine. I went home, opened the vents, and glopped up the gaskets with NAPA Sil-Glyde silicone paste lube.

He said they all leaked, and the factory had a recommended fix.

They don't all leak. Had my 91 since 02 and neither vent window has ever leaked. :dunno:

EDIT: I just looked up the part numbers for the vent window assemblies - they changed in 1991. So they must have done something right.

55015736-7, 1987-89

55024294-5, 1990

55028138-9, 1991-92

The driver side one doesnt leak at all...just the bottom channel is rusty and flaking away. The passenger side the front is cocked open even when it is closed...and that bottom channel is rusty and flaking as well. Ill try take out the pair of fixed ones I got to see how difficult it is...

You can find some new ones on Ebay or I have a set of used ones for sale. I also have brand new weatherstripping for them that I bought from TeamCherokee a while ago.

So how much would you want for the set and weather stripping if you wanna sell that too? The biggest problem is shipping them to Hawaii....and figuring out how to pay you haha

Errr, last I heard HI's a state and part of the US of A. Doesn't cost anymore to ship there than to Rhode Island via USPS Priority mail.

That is very true....its once you start ordering big stuff it gets costly. Sometimes shipping is more than the parts you order

Errr, last I heard HI's a state and part of the US of A. Doesn't cost anymore to ship there than to Rhode Island via USPS Priority mail.

That is very true....its once you start ordering big stuff it gets costly. Sometimes shipping is more than the parts you order

I'm in AK. I feel your pain.

Ya, true. If it doesn't fit into a flat rate box, can be expensive. :(

Yeah Hawaii is the wrong place to restore a car. But as a friend of mine once said "There's two ways to become resourceful, have no money and live on an island in the middle of no where"