'96ZJ,'98ZJ,'98XJ

I just stepped in some doodoo. Can somebody help me get out? I just bought '98ZJ, ran low on oil and fried the bearings. Pulled the engine and was going to swap in a '96ZJ but lo and behold. They're different. Discovered that when I was pulling connectors apart, and oil filter mounting. Then something in the back of my mind goes ding, they changed in '97. OK. I got a '98XJ Sport. Everything in front is different, fan blades off to one side, etc,etc, Can the '98XJ be used by swapping the parts needed to match the '98ZJ? All engines are 4.0.

I'm gettin' to old for this chit. Jim

The block itself should be the same for all those years... My brother's got a 91 4.0 in his 98 XJ and we had no problems dumping it in. I had to clean out a boss that was threaded but not used in 91, but that was it.

'87-'90, '91-'95. '96, '97-'99. 00'-01 are the five 4.0L blocks they used in Cherokees. Technically, you can put any of the engines in yours but you would need to transfer your accessories (front parts and intake/exhaust). Some used sensor holes that were plugged in other years and the heads are slightly different but all interchange. My buddy has a '93 engine in his '01. He had to swap the front parts (pump, power steering, alternator, a/c comp, brackets, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc...) but it was a direct bolt in.

'87-'90, '91-'95. '96, '97-'99. 00'-01 are the five 4.0L blocks they used in Cherokees. Technically, you can put any of the engines in yours but you would need to transfer your accessories (front parts and intake/exhaust). Some used sensor holes that were plugged in other years and the heads are slightly different but all interchange. My buddy has a '93 engine in his '01. He had to swap the front parts (pump, power steering, alternator, a/c comp, brackets, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, etc...) but it was a direct bolt in.

I thought they would all swap, but you never know!

Just finished supper and a cold Corona. Amazing how simple things in life can make one feel better. I'm going to stick with the original plan. Just sit the two side by side and swap everything over. Then stick it in. Thanks for the comments guys. Jim :yes: :thumbsup:

Got all the sensors, senders an stuff swapped over. Biggest difference was oil pressure sending unit. Besides the connector, pins being different the 98 block has a hole drilled and threaded into the rear of the block. The '96 doesn't. Just a cast hump where it would have gone. Actually thought about drilling and tapping a hole but thought better. Just moved the sending unit to the oil filter mount where the '98 went. Swapped dizzy and ign coil so pin connectors would fit. I believe I could have just cut the wire and swapped the connectors but don't like doing that. Intake, exh manifolds appear identical so just going to leave them.Didn't check the pins on the stuff on the int man. May have to change them. Seems to be working out OK.

Got the manifolds done. All the sensors were different so I was going to swap them. Got to looking at it and decided all that extra room I would have by removing the manifolds would make it worth the extra work so swapped both manifolds. I've done engine, tranny swaps before but don't remember having this much fun,,er,,trouble with them. Maybe if I had of I wouldn't of started this one. Life is just a bowl of cherries. Just watch out for the wormy ones. HeHe... :wrench:

comanche.gif