Introduction and J10/J20/Wagoneer grill swap question

Hey everyone,

I'm from New England, bought my 88 Comanche (4.0x5spdx4x4) a few months ago. It's a 90,xxx mile truck and I'm planning on daily driving it for years to come. Not lifting or anything like that, just a hard working truck to haul around motorcycles. I still have to swap out my Peugeuot tranny, fix a bunch of rust, and some other miscellaneous projects so I'm sure I'll have many more questions for you guys.

I found this pic online, and I love that grill. I'm a retro kind of a guy so round headlights and step sides appeal to me. I couldn't find any more info on this truck, has anyone done a grill swap like that? I assume the grill needs to be shortened, that all seems pretty straightforward. However, hood modification? I can't tell if it's custom or not, with it being up like that.

http://www.mattsoldcars.com/gallery/kenosha2004/images/custom_comanche.jpg

custom_comanche.jpg

I know that truck personally... That thing is as one-off as you can get. Its actually an MJ on a J10 chassis... The guy was an excellent fiberglass worker, and the grill/fenders are one piece and custom. As are the rear fenders, and tail light block outs. Unfortunately, the owner passed away 5 years ago now. The Comanche Club actually went through his garage as a group, and had a chance to meet his adult kids.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=22454

The truck was sold to a grandson, who actually used it as a truck ( :fs1: ) and last I heard it "Got hit while it was parked on the road". His uncle, whom I work with, doesn't believe any of that. Its still out there, and I hope to rescue it if it ever goes back up for sale.

Rob

Any chance of running the plates thru DMV and seeing if anything turns up?

To find it? I know exactly where it sits in northern WI. I told the guy I work with I would be interested if it ever comes up again. He regrets ever selling it to his nephew out of the estate... I'd have bought it, but I didn't have the 7K they were asking at the time.

Rob