EDIT: Got a '93 AW4

Just make sure you have all the pieces & parts, including a front axle (sorry, but you didn't mention an axle).

You'll need:

ECU

TCU

Shift plate, cables, etc.

T-case linkage

Wiring harness

Just to name a few pieces.

...and a front axle.

The '91 is already an AW4. I have axles, driveshafts, etc... already.

I know the '87 would be the 21-spline (weaker) set-up, but I do not know if the tranny will integrate seemlessly with my current TCU/ECU etc... based on the switch from Renix to OBD-1/H.O. I am not concefned about it not turning the "4wd" light on (seeing it is in 4wd is what the shift lever is for :D ) just that if I bolt it to my current engine will the tranny funtion correctly?

plug and play.

only difference that could possibly be there is the torque converter bolt hole locations on the flex plate...pretty simple fix if you lay them back to back, and re-drill the holes in proper locations. remember to measure out and drill them in such a way that the flex plate will still be balanced out as best as possible, though.

I *think* that they are the same torque converter bolt holes, but just in case, i wanted to give you that info.

Mixing torque converters will almost always result in transmission failure. The parts reader to each other and become a matched pair. Even putting a new torque converter on there is a significantly higher chance that they will fail.

Thanks for the advice and I passed on the early tranny.

Picked up a '93 4wd AW4 with the convertor today. I understand that my '91 usues a mechanical speedo and the '93 uses an electronic speedo.

As I have the '91 tranny to cannabalize, what is going to be the easiest way to get the speedo in my '91 to function?

(anyone have an inexpensive 23 spline 231 within an hour or so of Dayton, OH?)

Thanks for the help. I am about 25 miles from the jeep or I woulda crawled under it to check. I had one source saying the switch was in '92 ( which did not really make sense with the HO/OBD-I switch in '91) and sources stating it was in '91. :doh: