88 cherokee donor

Well my buddy found me an 88 4.0l ax5 231 (21 spline?) 4x4 d30 d35 for a parts truck. Ive allready got a reasonable rear diff and need the rest of the parts to make mine 4x4. He wants 400 bucks and it runs and drives right now. I know the trans is not ideal and the front axle will not match my rear gears out of the gate but I'm sure i can regear it easy enouph. My big question is is it worth it to grab the truck use the available drive train to get me going in 4x4 and possibly regearing the front to 4.10s and change things to the better models later or wait it out a bit longer for a better donor or parts. I'm going to be running 35s and stock engine. Also the engine from the donor will make a great spare motor for me. Any thoughts? I mean any i am still soaking up all the info i can on my truck and the life style of a jeep owner :D

If it's a 4.0, it's not an AX-5. The AX-5 was never behind the 4.0. If it's a 5 speed, and original, it's a Pukey BA 10/5.

but I'm sure i can regear it easy enouph.

Nope. Regearing is neither easy nor cheap. If you can't use the crappy 3.07 gears in it, it's probably not worth it. It will be cheaper and most likely easier to find yourself a 4.10 geared D30.

If it's an automatic, it will be an AW-4 and have 3.55 gears.

Any Jeep that runs and is complete is worth $400. Even if you can't use any of the parts your self. A running 4.0 will bring $300 minimum. $50 each for the tranny and each axle.That's $450 there, Hood, grill, fenders a couple more bucks. A stripped body across the scales, over a hundred bucks. This is of course, assuming you have a place to park it and not living in an apartment or strict zoning, HOA situation.