Transmission behind my comanche 327

I'm in the sssslllloooowwwwwww process of eventually dropping a 327 in my 87 4x2. Know what I will do with engine and it will, according to those in the know on chevy engines, bump the stock 250hp up to about 300. Considering the NV3500 5 speed that was used behind the chevy 4.3 v6 in compact and full size, and maybe, but I'm not absolutely positive, behind close to 300 hp 350's in Silverado's. That's what I find from Wiki. It is listed as the NV3550 behind 4.0's, etc. I will shoot for the S10 version because it's close ratio, not wide, and I want the overdrive 5th gear because this is a highway rig, a daily driver, and with leaving the stock Dana 3.55 ration in the rear at least for now, It will not be hotrodded and gear 5 will drop my rpms from near 3000 now at 75 to hopefully 22 to 2500 at cruising speed.

Thoughts on using the NV3500????

Naaa. No granny. 4x2. Daily (except during winter) highway driver.

I am thinking about the 4500 but it's a cast iron case monster (200 pounds w/o fluid) and I was hoping the 3500 aluminum cased and lighter tranny would work. 4500 seems to have been used behind the bigboy v8's, 6.0 and above and 8500GVR vehicles. That's where I am caught: Wiki "seems" to indicate the 3500 was used behind some 295 hp and probably 350maxtorque 350's, but I have also read it only handles 300max torque. Seems mutually exclusive. The later 3500's did undergo some changes, like larger bearings, etc. Could they have done this to beef them up for higher torque?

Havta talk to da chebby guys!

A lot of the chevy guys say "its doing fine behind my xxxxx" so you might get lucky. Either way, you'll be at or near the max for the power rating of the trans, so don't beat on it too hard. The 4500 on the other hand will take anything you throw at it.

Also, 4500's are A LOT cheaper and easier to rebuild.

NV4500 is a one ton truck transmission and shifts like crap.

Stick with the NV3550.

3550 (which I don't have) is the NV jeep version of the NV3500, right, and basically the same tranny in its innards?

Yes. 3500 and 3550 are internally the same. the difference is a one-piece case versus a removable bellhousing.

nv3500_dodge_transmission.jpg

NV3550-tranny.gif

Since I don't have a bell housing for my 327, and the cost from Novak for the 3550 to chevrolet bell housing adapter and the cost of a chevy bell housing, probably go with the 3500 that has everything there, and no machining of bellhousing and tranny input shaft will be needed. Only plus to the 3550; I could take it off only if needed, and not bellhousing with it. Can I come up with a 3550 that will make the cost equal? Shall see. Besides, bet its a LOT easier to find a 2wd 3500 than a 2wd 3550 ;)