Tranny help!

Basics first, MC full, tranny full.

BTW what tranny?

MC is full not sure how to check tranny fluid, as for the tranny type, I have a 4.0 engine, ax-15 I guess.. I have a picture of it posted somewhere I will upload it when I find it... Maybe that will help...

The big bolt that a socket wrench connects to is the fill/fill to level correct?

I have some Lucas tranny leak stop I was going to add.

My dad was saying there is a filter that needs to be changed now and then and the last time it was changed could have been 10 years ago.... What would be involved in changing that?

And what type of oil do I use? I think I read somewhere on here to use 75/w90 oil.

Thanks

Basics first, MC full, tranny full.

BTW what tranny?

MC is full not sure how to check tranny fluid, as for the tranny type, I have a 4.0 engine, ax-15 I guess.. I have a picture of it posted somewhere I will upload it when I find it... Maybe that will help...

The big bolt that a socket wrench connects to is the fill/fill to level correct?

I have some Lucas tranny leak stop I was going to add.

My dad was saying there is a filter that needs to be changed now and then and the last time it was changed could have been 10 years ago.... What would be involved in changing that?

And what type of oil do I use? I think I read somewhere on here to use 75/w90 oil.

Thanks

Do you have a tranny leak?

Manual tranny - no filter

BA-10 - 80/90 whatever "gear oil"

AX-15 - 30wt synthetic

Would be helpful to know the exact tranny.

Do you have a tranny leak?

Manual tranny - no filter

BA-10 - 80/90 whatever "gear oil"

AX-15 - 30wt synthetic

Would be helpful to know the exact tranny.

It is a 5 speed manual.

What would be the easiest way to find what tranny I have?

I thought I had a better picture online already but I don't... When I can I will get a better picture.. I saw a post that showed nice clean ax15 and ba10 trannys to id with but mine is in no ways clean.

188432_1932782239771_1248744812_2363896_5129339_n.jpg

If you still have that picture of the two sitting next to each other a little note, that would help a lot in my little explanation as I can't remember which thread that was with the picture.

The easiest way to tell is to look at where the starter bolts to the bell housing. The BA10/5 is offset farther up than the AX15, because of this difference, the AX15 has a diagonal piece cast on it at about the 6 o'clock position of the starter location as the BA10/5's casting follows the circle till it meets the bell housing.

It's a lot easier to explain in pics but I currently don't have any on this computer.

Because your truck is an 88. The AX15 didn't appear in the MJ until the middle of 89.

That's not what I based it on. An AX-15 could have been swapped in by a PO.

I based it on the transmission in the picture being a BA 10/5, which is most noticeable by the subtle ribbing, bolts along the bottom, and lack of a midplate.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11699

:idea: Well then that was easy!! LOL

So can I nab a AX-15 from another jeep and bolt on or how would i go about a swap?

Search for 'AX-15 swap', and you should find about 3,000 threads on the subject.