Looking for a MJ in Illinois or Indiana

rs74

I live 20 miles west of Terre Haute In. I am interested in 87-92 MJ shortbeds. It just needs to have a descent cab, good frame and bed. It doesn't even need to have a front end on it as it would be getting the 97+ Cherokee updates anyway. It can also be a 2wd or 4wd. It also needs to have a good title. Just trying to see if anything is out there as I am having a hard time finding them in my area.

Would that be Madison Wisconsin? Wow seems like a pretty good deal. Hey this is off the subject but is there a craigslist search anymore. Here a while back I could google cragslist and their search box came up and I could search all of craigslist. Now I can only search by cities. Is this the way it is for everyone now. Thanks for the reply by the way.

searchtempest. That's the cats @$$. I found one about two hours from me in bloomington Il. I am going to call and see if he still has it. It's a 90 but doesn't say much about it. But non the less its a 4x4 to boot.

searchtempest. That's the cats @$$. I found one about two hours from me in bloomington Il. I am going to call and see if he still has it. It's a 90 but doesn't say much about it. But non the less its a 4x4 to boot.

Sounds like a basketcase... You pretty good with Jeeps? Sounds like that is an abortion of a project. He thinks he can get $800 or he'll scrap it for that. Been there, dealt with those types. I bet that truck is junk, and thinks its the rarest most awesome MJ in the world. I would think the Elim up in Wi would be a better deal. Looks more solid and unmolested.

I think your the closest other member to MCF90.

You don't care about HO/Renix?

Rob

Have you already talked to this guy or something? As far as the HO/Renix, I am really wanting to find a 00-01 Cherokee and do the conversion with the front clip and the interior, except instead of running the 4.0l I want to try my luck at a 5.3l and 4l60e out of a GM truck. So the front clip doesnt really matter to me or does the interior for the most part. It would be nice to have a complete truck cause I might be able to recover some of my expense by selling some parts maybe.

As far as being pretty good with Jeeps, I have just worked on a few of them. I am actually looking for a 00-01 Cherokee for a DD. I just sold my Harley and looking to purchase a Silverstone XJ. Then I am going to sell my Chevy crewcab and hopefully build an updated Comanche. I have wrenched for alot of years both for myself and for other establishments so taking on such a project will be a little challenging but nothing I can't do. I am just tired of having an average vehicle to drive. It has been a few years since I could play with something and have some fun with a vehicle. I am just trying to change pace and get back into having some fun again. Sometimes life slows one down a little bit especially after having children. I've been having the itch for awhile now I am trying to satisfy that itch a little.

While it has been done, a V8 MJ is tough. Its tough to keep one of those cool with the limited space for a radiator and tight engine compartment. We actually have a member right now that is doing it, but has to cut out the front crossmember to do so just to fit a bigger radiator in. I would recommend a stroker conversion for the 4.0L. You can use a 258 crank and rods, making the 4.0L a 4.6 and making a mountain of low end torque. There are plenty of writeups on this out on the interwebs, and a few members here who are running them with great results. Not only that, but in keeping the same block, you will be able to keep all your accessories, sensors, and such, without lots of headache's making something that was never available in it work.

Just in case no one has told you, the XJ's to look for are '98-'99's. The '00-'01's have a head thats prone to cracking and causing trouble. '97's are plagued with electrical issues as they were the first of a new body style. '98-9's are revered for being the most solid and reliable in any condition.

Don't get me wrong, if you find a '00-1 in good shape for a good deal jump on it. I would just be aware of its history, and check the Jeep for obvious signs of care and maintenance. Make sure it doesn't show signs of being overheated also.

Rob :cheers:

Yeah I knew the 00-01's had the bad head but I am after the Silverstone classic or limited. As far as the V8 conversion, all I have read so far is from Novak. I know some don't like their stuff but that is all I have really come across. I have not researched it a whole lot. They do sell a radiator that is supposed to fit right in if I am not mistaken. I just thought it would be neat to have a 300 horse v8 under the hood and still get around 20mpg.

On the truck from Bloomington did you call about this truck already? And who is putting in the v8 on here. Is there a thread on it. This has kind of turned into our own little conversation here instead of looking for a comanche although it is all related for the most part.

I haven't talked to him, but after searching for MJ's, daily CL searches, and I usually go to look at any/all in the area I can, I know the signs.

Now that I see there are actually two ad's for a '90 MJ, you must be talking about the one with the pic. I was assuming this one at first:

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/cto/2329813149.html

That one reeks of unfinished hackjob project, with someone that thinks their stuff is gold.

This one must be the one you are looking at:

http://springfieldil.craigslist.org/pts/2336133187.html

As for the V8 info, just feel free to toss something up in the tech section asking about the V8 conversions. I am sure all the V8 guys can chime in for you, telling you about the pro's and cons.

Myself, I would be after the stroker. Check out this thread for some unholy inspiration on the stoker.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12248

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
I live 20 miles west of Terre Haute In. I am interested in 87-92 MJ shortbeds. It just needs to have a descent cab, good frame and bed. It doesn't even need to have a front end on it as it would be getting the 97+ Cherokee updates anyway. It can also be a 2wd or 4wd. It also needs to have a good title. Just trying to see if anything is out there as I am having a hard time finding them in my area.

You still looking for one?

You still looking for one?

I have been looking around a little here and there. Things are starting to get a little tight here. I have been thinking about selling one of my trucks just to put a lift and new tires on my Cherokee. Do you have one for sale? Send me some pics and info.