• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'm scouring Texas for an NV3550, tough to come by cheap. Heck, an AX15 can be hard to find.

I looked in Texas for a couple months and bought the first AX15 I found under $500, its taken me 3 months of searching up here for the same thing! Just to get one with under 100k on it was rediculous! With as many wranglers and XJs that run these things, I thought they would be everywhere. I was about to do an auto swap but I was trying to avoid that!

the mj looks good with generals on there! how are they? iwas thinking about getting a set myself or bfg "project" hows the ride with that shock set up in the rear.

On the street I love them, havent had a chance to get them off road yet. I'm going to get them siped before it starts snowing here (probably in about 4 weeks :eek: ) They are super quiet but only have about 2k on them. The shocks are valved super stiff, but its not harsh, dunno the numbers but I like them. :thumbsup:

I found this out the hard way after every thing was apart. The nv3550 uses a "non bleedable" slave/master cylinder setup. I used the whole thing from the 2001 xj mine came out of. I had to modify the firewall and how it attaches to the pedal, but it wasn't that hard. The assembly has three parts; the master cylinder, slave cylinder, and the special hose that connects them together. They don't use threaded fittings. They just slide in and have a little pin that holds them together. You can buy the parts individually or as one complete assembly that is pre-bled. I had to get a new slave cylinder because the old one was missing the rod. I managed to bleed it by submerging the whole thing in fluid and playing with it until all the air was out. Talk about a big mess... I believe Advanced Adapters (or maybe it was Novak??) makes a clutch system for it that used a normal set up.

I had to trim a the opening in the tranny hump. Wasn't a big deal, still need to make a new shifter boot though. The shifter still fits in the center console fine. You will need the cross member and mount from a xj with an nv3500, I had to drill holes for the extra brackets some mj's have.

I believe you will also need a special pilot bushing. I have no idea what size or what mine is supposed to go to because my dad went and got it while i was working on something else. I got the clutch kit for the 88 and ended up throwing away a bunch of the parts, like the internal slave and such. I think that we concluded that we should have used the 01 clutch kit, supposed to be a stronger clutch anyways. Might want to do some more research on that though.

If you get a shifter, make sure it had the little bushing things on the ends of the rods, you should know what I mean when you look at it.

I'm happy to answer any other questions you have.

thanks comanche.gif

Chad

Thanks, I got a slave cylinder and I was sitting in the garage last night trying to figure out how to hook it up to what I have to no avail. I have a brand new clutch from my AX15 and I'm just trying to figure out if I need one for a 3550 or not. And then also, are there some little clips that hold the shift fork in the bell housing? Mine has nothing, just the little pivot ball and the fork... thanks for any help!

• 4 weeks later...

finally got the MJ up and going again, with the NV3550. It was a stright bolt-in procedure except for some minor trimming on the trans tunnel for the shift tower. Bought the stainless braided clutch line and fittings from advance adapters, bolted up to my existing clutch master cylinder, crossmember didnt need any mods, my clutch and flywheel are from a 98 TJ with an AX15 and everything is working fine. Got a B&M short throw shifter and love it! Been driving around and shifting gears this week and enjoying it! Need to trim a litttle more for some tire clearence.

nice to be in the MJ again... comanche.gif

• 1 month later...

Sold my Grizzly locker in the D30 and picked up an Auburn ECTED from a fellow CC member. Ordered up some new 4.10s and got it installed. While I was at it, I changed out the UCA bushings for some new ones.

crummy old bushings with ovaled out bolt holes

ditched the plastic vent nipple for a tapped and threaded barb

new Ujoints

and since its 35* outside, your beer stays cold! :yes:

looks like I have a head gasket in my very near future. I did a compression check and was very dissapointed with the results. The low compression across cylinders doesnt make me feel very good.

#1- 100 psi

#2- 100 psi

#3- 105 psi

#4- 105 psi

#5- 115 psi

#6- 90 psi

I changed the oil immediatly about a month ago when I noticed the water. Since then I've put about 50 miles of town driving on it and its nothing but worse. Its parked now until it gets some mechanical attention. :wall:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

they do on the very bottoms of the flares. I cut one on the passenger rear, hated it, and havent cut any other yet. I'm getting some glass flares for the front when I do a 97+ front end and I am undecided what on the rear. My big XJ is flareless but I think I'm going to try either front 97+ flares on the rear or maybe some painted to match rear TJ flares. I'll cross that bridge later though.

and I found some factory MJ buckets with sliders today. Now I just need some nice grey seat! I'm getting rid of the Corbeaus, just too much of a hassle for a DD.

they do on the very bottoms of the flares. I cut one on the passenger rear, hated it, and havent cut any other yet. I'm getting some glass flares for the front when I do a 97+ front end and I am undecided what on the rear. My big XJ is flareless but I think I'm going to try either front 97+ flares on the rear or maybe some painted to match rear TJ flares. I'll cross that bridge later though.

and I found some factory MJ buckets with sliders today. Now I just need some nice grey seat! I'm getting rid of the Corbeaus, just too much of a hassle for a DD.

Same with mine. Need to trim them, it's very loud. I saw what you did with the rear and can't say I liked it to much either, I shouldn't have a problem with th rear just the front. I also plan on doingthe 97 swap so I don't care so much about the front fenders. However I can't take the flares off because the tires will stick out way to much and it's not legal here.

• 3 weeks later...

Since I'm currently jobless, I decided to build a bumper or two! Started with the front and hammered this out today. Hopefully Friday I'll "finish" it for now. I still need a press for my dimple dies.

I've got some D-ring tabs coming in the mail, the bumper mounts themselves are LII products, and to finish it off its going to get some bug eye hoops going out and around the headlights like what on my XJ. Its not a winch bumper, but I believe I left enough room on top to make it one later down the road, but I doubt I will.