Head Gasket issue ??

I just finished installing a new to me 2.5 in the 88 MJ . Fires up , works great , sounds decent but maybe a hair rougher than it should be . I have installed new plugs/cap/rotor/filters/oil and bought a new rad to boot .

I filled the rad , and began to bleed to cooling system . Seems I have it circulating to a min point where I get just a hint of heat inside . It did get hot for me at one point , but now , barely warm air . All the hoses are getting hot with the exception to the lower rad hose .

I'm building alot of pressure , enough the upper rad hose swells hard , more than normal . If I leave the rad cap off , the water will just flow out , maybe about 10-20 secs after cold starting .

Only thing relevant not changed is the t-stat . I would have , I wanted to , but , no stock so I ordered one in . I'm not sure how long this engine sat . Maybe years . If the t-stat was stuck closed , would it have the same effect as I have described or would you say the head gasket is leaking into the water jackets somewhere ?

I'm gonna pull the old t-stat out and try running w/o it to see if things change , but , if it doesn't , what's the best way to test the head gasket without pressurizing the combustion chamber ? (have no tool to fit compressor to plug hole)

I can't tell if there are bubbles coming out , the rad just overflows . I did initially see some bubbles but figured the system was just burping since it was completely empty .

Gone to pull the t-stat , any help is appreciated . This is a project toy , not a DD by any means , no 911 here :wavey:

Pics here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f53/newf ... a-1189346/

I just finished installing a new to me 2.5 in the 88 MJ .

Where did you get the 2.5? A reputable source?

:agree: On pulling the Tstat.

No coolant was in the oil or vice-versa?

I would kind of lean towards a bad head gasket.

Possibly feel that you picked up somebody else's problem.

I got it from a good source . Bring it back if I want . I'd rather not though . He's also willing to pony up for fix parts .

No water in the oil that I can tell . But it hasn't been run more than 1 hour total and new oil . Or vice-versa .

It was hard to find a replacement for it to be honest . This guy happened to have a few . This jeep was rolled at one point but only 95K (I saw the jeep before and after the engine pull) Compression is good at 130ish straight accross except the #1 is 118 (suspect ?)

As for buying someone elses troubles , that comes with any jeep/part , new or used , lol .

You could buy a cheap leakdown tester or you could buy an adapter to hook up an air compressor for like $2

True , but I live 40 miles from the closest source open on Sundays :( .

I have confirmed the t-stat was working properly .

Gonna try bleeding again I guess . Confirm the pressure build up :hmm: . Never had an issue bleeding a cooling system . I'm pretty sure the head gasket is leaking . :fs1:

I love jeeps , and sometimes , I hate 'em .

Head gasket is fine AFIK . Turns out the YJ has a standard rotaion water pump vs the reverse rotaion water pump on the MJ .

I got all the gaskets and stuff to do the head , and ordered a new water pump just because . When I got home I started to pull things off . First off the original engine IE : water pump . Then tore the MJ back down to access the water pump to confirm rotaions . They were opposite :eek: . I didn't know there were different rotation options available on these engines .

Well , it sure fits the problems I'm having and should fix things up nicely . Lesson learned .

Thanks for the suggestions . :waving: I'll post back tomorrow when the pump is on .

I found a 2.5 4WD trans , starter and a 90 insturment cluster(guages) so I'm gonna grab that tomorrow . It's from a 4.0 but I have a seperate tach so I'll leave it on if it don't work properly in the dash .

Pump is on . Everything is working as it should . Engine sounds great and the idle is smooth .

Cooling system got a new rad , water pump , t-stat and a lower hose . The PO of the truck also had a new clutch fan , and blade . It washed up like new :) .

Now I can continue on to something else , there's lots to do with this truck , I have plans jamminz.gif