1998 XJ Sport with salvage title 72K miles

terrawombat

Going to try this over here. Had it up on NAXJA for a week or so and a bunch of interested parties, but I guess the title issues are scaring them off. Lets see how many CC guys I can scare off.

Details: '98XJ 4.0/AW4/NP231/8.25/D30 with 3.55 gears. Starts and runs excellent. Shifts excellent. 71,500 original miles on the odometer. Body is in overall good condition with a couple of dings and scratches on the lower portion of the drivers front door. Black exterior plastics are faded. Tires are in decent shape, but a couple do show some cracking from sitting outside for a while. I have no reason to believe they won't hold up for many more miles to come. Three matching Goodyear GS-A's and one Michelin LTX.

Now, the BAD. It is a theft recovery vehicle and due to the theft, it was a total loss according to the NJ Manufacturer's insurance company. It was then sold to the previous owner through CH Autos in Jackson, NJ and then sold to me. In the great state of NJ, I need to take it through an official inspection for it me to register it. The inspection cost $200, requires a heap of documentation, and I also need to trailer the XJ to the inspection facility. These are all things I do not wish to do. I understand that other states do not require you to jump through such hoops for salvage title vehicles, but please inquire with your local motor vehicle facility about such things. Please not that this is a salvage title vehicle that has not been recertified with the state of NJ to be legally driven on the roads. There is a difference between this type of salvage certificate and the other salvage cert. that allows the vehicle to be registered and insured (although I know some insurance companies do NOT insure salvage title vehicles. Esurance is one of those companies).

For much more in depth info and pictures, please see the original thread I posted on NAXJA: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1058770

Price: $1,500 OBO

damn this would be a perfect jeep for a 98 swap into a MJ, title wouldn't be a issue then, at least not around my parts.

That was its original intended purpose, but:

1) It was too nice for me to pull it apart

2) I prefer body-colored fender flares and the agate interior of the 99+ XJs

• 2 weeks later...

Archived