A couple of lift/tire size questions.

I'm assuming that with the long history of tire/suspension swaps you guys will have these answers readily available. :)

I have an 86 x. 4x4.

1. Tirewise, how big can I go on the stock suspension? I have some 31 x 10.5's but I'm afraid that they would be too big.

2. If I go with a 3" lift how big could I go?

Thanks in advance,

Rob

1. Tirewise, how big can I go on the stock suspension? I have some 31 x 10.5's but I'm afraid that they would be too big.

31 x 10.50s are fine if mounted on factory rims. There will be minimal rub on the lower control arms with stock rims.

2. If I go with a 3" lift how big could I go?

31 x 10.50. Unless you do more than just adding lift, all the same problems you face at stock height will still be there at 3" of lift.

:hijack: Can you run 15" wheels with larger backspacing such as AR rims and 31x10.5 tires on a stock suspension with no rubbing on the lcas? Don't stock Jeep wheels have like 4.5" BS and most aftermarket wheels have 5.5" BS?

:hijack: Can you run 15" wheels with larger backspacing such as AR rims and 31x10.5 tires on a stock suspension with no rubbing on the lcas? Don't stock Jeep wheels have like 4.5" BS and most aftermarket wheels have 5.5" BS?

You have it reversed. The OEM rims have 5-1/4" backspacing. The most you can get in aftermarket is 4-1/2". That solves the LCA rubbing -- but then the tire are set farther outboard, so when the suspension compresses instead of the tire nicely tucking up inside the fender -- it smashes into the flare. If the flare is removed, it hits the steel metal and gets a nice cut.

Obviously, you can then start cutting away, but the simple answer is that 31 x 10.50s on stock rims work best on OEM rims. Lift does not solve the fender interference problem with aftermarket rims unless you also extend the bump stops to limit suspension compression significantly.

You don't need spacers. You'll lose 1/2 turn off the steering range.

Translation: The steering in the MJ is 3-1/2 turns lock to lock. That means from center to either extreme is 1-3/4 turns of the steering wheel. It only rubs at the very extreme -- if you on;y turn the wheel 1-1/2 turns either way, it doesn't rub.

I've been driving on 31 x 10.50s on stock rims, with no lift, for several years. No spacers, either.

Spacers will make the tires rub the flairs,you need to adj the steering stops out so the tires can't rub.

Or install WJ lower control arms. They have a bend that allows the tires to turn fully without rubbing.

Just tried this Sunday, on my 90 MJ.

Had a set of stock Jeep 15x7 aluminum wheels with 31/10.50s.

MJ is all stock, no lift, nothing. Had 225/75s on it when I got it.

Put the 31s on it, front and rear, no rub, no scrub, no pinch weld rub, nothing.

Then put on a set of canyons (15x8) with 30/9.50s, still no rub or scrub.

Will be looking for a new set of 31 to replace the 30s. and use the Canyons.

Did have the Canyons and 30s on my XJ, same deal, no rub, except for lower arms at full lock, not a problem tho, just be a little careful. Never hurt the tires.

MJ is a little higher, and will be getting some 1.5" wheel spacers for the rear, mostly for looks tho. :brows:

And thinking about WJ lowers...not for tire clearance but for ride quality, the tire clearance is a bonus ;)