4wd conversion question

So i found a couple of 4wd 89 xj's at the local Pull-a-Part and just wondering if the front axle will bolt right up to my 89 mj? I'm thinkin it will but just want to be sure before i plunk down $80 on it.

And while i'm at it, as long as it's the 4.0 should the transmission and transfer case work too?

thx fellas

If you don't have the cash/time and or experience you may want to hold out on this and see what you can learn. There was SOOO much info I wish I would have known before I dove into mine. Have you thought about what size tires your gonna go with? or what size lift? Oh and it all depends on if your truck is a auto or stick. You may want to keep it at 3:55 if for the most part you drive on the street.

Brandon

At least 4.10's, if not 4.56's... And they get a whole lot harder to find. You are going to have to find an XJ/MJ with a 2.5L, 5 speed, and 4WD to get 4.10s. Rumored that its automatic counterpart got 4.56's...

I have only ever seen one 2.5L Auto MJ, and it was a 2WD.

Rob L.

The truck I was gonna buy before I got mine was a auto, 2.5 4wd 1988. Peace of crap but what ever lol

Any ways. So I'm guessing your going with a SOA lift? Yes I would up date your rear axle, and gears I think 4:10 will be fine seeing as how you have a 5 speed. When looking for a rear axle you have many you can choose from, crysler 8.25, Ford 9", ford 8.8, dana 44, hell even a dana 60. Its all about what you need and or want.

Brandon

Its easier for a novice to burn perches than setup gears properly. You can't just pull gears out of one axle and bolt them into another. You have to set backlash, pinion depth, preload, get a good pattern... Only takes a buddy who can toss some weld to put in a whole new XJ axle.

Food for thought.

Rob L.