Did Comanches have non power brakes?

I'm looking to loose the brake booster on the Bonneville truck,( we do have a parachute and really don't use the brakes) I am also running a vacuum pump so i would really like them both to go. If I look at Rock Auto it seems to imply that Cherokees were available with manual ( non-power) brakes I assume that an adapter plate would be bolted in place of the booster and the master cylinder bolted to that. Any chance sombody could verify if this was actually an option( or standard?) Would somebody have a plate lying around?

Maybe CJ stuff would fit?

Thanks

Ive never seen or heard of manual brakes on one of our vehicles. The last thing I had with manual brakes was a 76 Ford Maverick, and it had the wide brake pedal so you could use both feet to stop the car. But in your case, if I was building it, I might go with a dune buggy master cylinder setup. They can be had in billet aluminum with a twin master cylinder setup... one for front and one for rear, or you could get them for rear only, as many buggies had spindle mount front wheels. It wouldnt be hard to fab a rod to hook them up either. Lighter that way too.

I'm looking to loose the brake booster on the Bonneville truck,( we do have a parachute and really don't use the brakes) I am also running a vacuum pump so i would really like them both to go. If I look at Rock Auto it seems to imply that Cherokees were available with manual ( non-power) brakes I assume that an adapter plate would be bolted in place of the booster and the master cylinder bolted to that. Any chance sombody could verify if this was actually an option( or standard?) Would somebody have a plate lying around?

Maybe CJ stuff would fit?

Thanks

The very early ones were available with the base model equipped with non-power brakes and non-power steering. I've never actually seen one, but if they were like the AMC cars from just a few years earlier, there is no adapter. The master cylinder bolts directly to the firewall and the rod from the brake peddle goes directly to the piston in the master. There should be a retainer clip of some type that prevents the actuator rod from pulling out of the piston.

On my '68 Javelin autocrosser, I went the other way (which is why I'm fairly confident in what I'm reporting). The Javelin I set up for racing started out life as a base model 290 V8 with manual steering and manual (if that's an acceptable word for foot power) drum brakes. I converted to quick-ratio manual steering and installed power brakes with front discs out of a '73 Rebel, because the newer design used larger rotors and calipers and the rotors were ventilated. Easy, bolt-in conversion, so I would hope that going the other way would be an easy "bolt-out" conversion.

I don't know if the push rod is the same length as the one for power brakes.

Looking on RockAuto for a 86 XJ, the do sell the Master and it comes with a rod, so maybe all i have to do is swap it in.

That would be my guess.

Out of curiosity, is the non-power master cylinder a different part number than the power? You might be able to just remove your power booster and move the existing master back directly to the firewall.