Cam bearing install tool

First off this is my first engine build, it will be going into the 88 MJ.

Just scored a bare 96 4.0 block, fresh from the machine shop.

Crankshaft, machine work done.

Cylinder head, machine work done, valves, and springs assembled ready to go.

$620 delivered.

Right off the bat I see that freeze plugs and cam bearings haven't been installed.

I don't have a problem with the freeze plug install, but have a couple of questions on the cam bearing install.

Before anybody says "best let the machine shop do it" I say it ain't happening.

I did my own ring & pinions last summer, D30 and 8.8. I'm sure I can handle this.

So I'm looking into buying a cam bearing install tool, here is my quandary.

Do I need a whole universal set, or does anybody know the 4.0 bore diameter vs a SBC bore diameter.

There are SB Chevy tools out there that can be had for +/- $40 bucks if the Chevy tool will work for installing

the Jeep cam bearings. Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a universal set for about a hundred bucks?

I know where there is a FS Cherokee laying on it's side up against a tree 258 cid.

Wouldn't take much to nab the crank out of it :brows:

I like the loaner tool idea, except the nearest chain store that loans tools is 100+ mi away.

I Don't mind buying tools, just wish I could get the GF to see that buying me Jeep parts

or tools would really make me happy. Besides what good is the shirt (she bought me) to me in the shop

except to wipe my hands on? :dunno: :rotf:

Women never understand what makes a man happy. Gift wise.

Me, Jeep parts and toys, I mean tools.

I wouldn't mess with installing the bearings. Sure the block just came back from the machine shop but if you don't have a dial indicator yourself and verify the line bore you are just setting yourself up for oil pressure problems or a premature spun bearing. With that said if the shop has proof that they did line bore the cam and main bearings go ahead knock yourself out! I have seen it done on Horsepower TV and it seemed pretty straight forward. Good luck!