Add a leaf

88pioneer

Not for an MJ, but my XJ. I've swapped leaf springs before, but never done an add a leaf. I've been looking up how to do it on, an have seen people install one with the spring still on the vehicle, and others who say the spring needs to be out to install it. Was just wondering if anyone had any input on this.

:cheers:

Speaking from experience, a extra leaf can be added to a MJ without removing the pack. The pack must be removed to add a leaf to a XJ pack. The bolt in the center holding the pack together fits into a hole on the axle spring mount, helps keep the axle/spring in place. Adding a leaf to a MJ,SUA, just involves loosening the U bolts and sliding it in place. On the XJ SOA, you must remove the pack, remove the bolt, add the leaf, then reassemble the pack. This applies only when adding the leaf to the bottom of the spring pack. If adding it between the main leaf and rest of the pack then the pack must be removed and disassembled,

you can do it either way. the first time i took mine off the xj, wasnt too difficult but its alot easier leaving the main spring on the chassi cause the bolts can be a bit of a pain sometimes. you can leave the main spring bolted to the truck and move the axle (jack the truck up higher but don't over extend the brake line) outta the way so the other springs have room to come out ( i used 2 c clamps and slowly undid them) thatd be an easiest way i know. how much of an aal are you doing? i did what was supose to be a 2" but was more like 3". it was one full length leaf, rode like crap. if your only doing a 1 or 1.5 id look into shackles. i got some beefy rocky road shackles http://www.rocky-road.com/xjshackle.html

Speaking from experience, a extra leaf can be added to a MJ without removing the pack. The pack must be removed to add a leaf to a XJ pack.

Jim, I sure wish you had told me BEFORE I did it without removing the pack from the vehicle that it couldn't be done.

It's actually quite easy.

Go for the AAL. Longer shackles are a short term lift that, in the long term, just kill your springs, while adding no load capacity.