Pad or no Pad?

ride172

Not that kind of pad :no: , carpet pad... :yes:

After getting my leaky heater hose fixed and floor board all dried out and cleaned up, I'm ready to re-install the interior. I'm torn between ripping the padding off the back of my carpet or leaving it attached for warmth and a quiet ride. I know it is rust's wet dream and all but I just can't make myself rip it off. I used some cold galvanized primer and a spray bomb on the steel because I had it lying around.. I know Por-15 is best but it just wasn't in the budget this time around, maybe next winter. So back on topic, will my truck sound like I'm in a steel can without the padding? Will I freeze in the winter time? It does get cold here. So what do you think leave it or ditch it?

Maybe neither... You could use a different insulation, like dynapad, I think that is what its called, the foil covered adhesive backed stuff. It shouldnt absorb water like the OEM insulation.

Of course I am cheap, so I'd use the adhesive backed stuff they sell at the home depot that everyone here keeps talking about.

After I replace my floors this is what I plan on doing:

- POR 15 the floor pans

- Use the POR15 top coat primer on treated floor pans

- Finish painting with a layer of rubberized undercoating

- Finish it off with insulated carpet

I simply do not want any adhesive backed material on the floor that can capture and hold water. Doesn't seem like a good idea. On top of POR15 the rubberized undercoating should help reduce heat exchange and sound without worry of holding water and rusting.