ball joints

I went with the Moogs too. But looking at that $40 set, I'm now curious if I got the correct lowers. That kit lists one part number for years 85-06. Moog lists two part numbers: K3137T (before 1990) and K3161T (1990+). According to this thread, the difference in the two is the amount of taper. It looks like if you screwed up, you can still run the K3137 in the 90+ and it will just have a little gap left, but what about the other way around if you put the K3161T in the application that calls for K3137T? I just ordered parts for my '91 not knowing there was any difference, (always thought all XJ/MJ front axles were identical except gearing and HP vs LP) but my axles are out of an '88 I believe.

What is the difference between the FA1633 part and the Moog that FA1633 is a universal part and the Moog isn't?

I'd be inclined to believe there may be a small difference......a couple years ago I took my MJ in for safety inspection and the shop said the driverside upper BJ was shot and needed replaced. They spent over four hours working on it, and ended up getting the new one to "almost" seat fully. There's about a 1/8" gap between it and the knuckle (works fine though).

Jeff

I went with the Moogs too. But looking at that $40 set, I'm now curious if I got the correct lowers. That kit lists one part number for years 85-06. Moog lists two part numbers: K3137T (before 1990) and K3161T (1990+). According to this thread, the difference in the two is the amount of taper. It looks like if you screwed up, you can still run the K3137 in the 90+ and it will just have a little gap left, but what about the other way around if you put the K3161T in the application that calls for K3137T? I just ordered parts for my '91 not knowing there was any difference, (always thought all XJ/MJ front axles were identical except gearing and HP vs LP) but my axles are out of an '88 I believe.

What is the difference between the FA1633 part and the Moog that FA1633 is a universal part and the Moog isn't?

The upper is the same for all years but the lower is different. I found a guy with a brand new set (all 4) of moogs on craigs but they were for a newer XJ so I only got the uppers and had to buy the lowers. Not sure what the difference is. After reading the thread you linked it sounds like you may be OK but Id still prefer the correct part.

man...i got my new knuckles from 89flat...thats what the ball joints going on...i already bought them but they seem big..i guess i gotta wait for 89flat to respond to my pm to tell me what vehicle they came off of...

here's some pics maybe someone can figure it out???

here's what i bought

moog for 92 mj

Image Not Found

here's the knuckles...not sure what there from, but they fit..plus, how do i tell which side is which?

Image Not Found

the uppers

Image Not Found

the lowers

Image Not Found

not sure if i even have them in the right place???

The ball joints press into the "C" on the axle. Only the stud on the ball joint will go into the hole on the knuckles. Did you get a split ring seat with one set of the ball joints? Looks like a round metal thing. That has to be set into the "C" to a certain depth.

ok, i got the ball joints and the new knuckles on

i ran into a problem

the doner knuckles are from an 87 mj.

the caliper and pads on my truck are for a 92 mj

the pads are a little off....they won't fit..

its hard to see, but here's a pic...

does anyone know what i should do??

can i just get pads for a 87 mj and theyll fit???

i hope its that easy...someone said to just grind the pads down but i don't wanna.

thanks in advanced auto!

Paul

Image Not Found

Do you just need a brake caliper spreader, or are they already bottomed out against the sides? Hard to tell from your pic, are they too long, and that's the issue? Maybe the calipers don't interchange (I know it's true with later years), you could check part numbers online and see if they match.

Also, if you ended up with '87 knuckles, shouldn't you have been using the Moog 3137 joints? The 3161s are supposedly for 90+. How did they fit? Any gaps or spaces?