Removing shocks question?

I'm sure this is a "simple" question but I have never changed shocks and can't find a straight answer online. Do I jack the truck up by frame or by axle? :dunno: If by frame, where is the best spot to place the jack, front & rear?

Does not matter where you jack it up by, as long as its a solid point with safety stands.

Shocks can be changed with the axle under full droop, or fully compressed. If you can get under there, you can change them with it on the ground too, and save some hassle.

Rob L.

Depends on your particular case but in some cases the shocks may be the limiting factor in suspension droop. Disconnecting the shocks with the axle at full droop and unsupported may result in a bit of sudden unexpected axle movement. I usually support the jeep on the frame (just behind lower control arm brackets in front, just ahead of spring hangers in rear), then support the wieght of the axle on a floor jack.

I prefer to jack by the axle, and use jack stands as safety supports. With the chassis weight on the axle, the shocks should be sitting at the approximate mid-point of their travel range.

Actually, driving up on ramps is an ideal way to access shocks for replacement.

Thanks Guys! I'm removing 6 month old shocks from a parts Comanche. The owner paid a shop $400 for P&L for 4 heavy duty shocks and he sold them to me for $50. It's not driveable and it's parked on ivy covered ground. I wanted to be certain of the best method for removal before the operation. I'll try to stabalize the jack and stands on plywood if I can't mange to do this from a no-lift position.