86 4cyl vs. 88 6cyl ?

OK Gurus, I'm going to look at a parts truck on Saturday and need to know what will be compatible. Parts truck = 86 LWB 2.5 unk transmission. Project truck = 88 SWB 4.0 5spd Eliminator.

Did the 2.5 have the better gears/axles and could it be metric ton? Are the leafs on the LB bolt ups to the SB?

The truck has damage to the R/F from a falling tree branch and even tweaked the frame so the owner decided to part out. Any help is welcome!

leafs will be compatible.

metric ton is a separate package and was available in any year. can't know for sure if that one had it without looking. if the 86 was an MT, it'll have the AMC-20 and that has a basketball shaped differential. the cover is perfectly round.

Since your truck is a 4.0/5spd, your gears will be 3.07s and that means anything that's in that 86 will be better. :thumbsup:

the driveshaft won't fit, but I'd get it if it's free.

Your transmission should be a peugeot (AX-15 wasn't until late in 89). no, the AX-5 behind a 2.5 won't work.

I just replaced the peugeot with AX15 yesterday. Feels like a new truck! The driveshaft came from a XJ since the AX15 output shaft was too large in diameter to fit the original yoke/driveshaft. Does the AMC 20 differ in length compared to the D30?