2.5 Exhaust

Does anybody have any ideas or tips for changing the exhaust?? I have an 86 LB 2WD. would like to free it up and possibly give it better sound. A guy I know gave it to me for installing an alternator in his grand cherokee. I only did the labor, he paid for parts.

Also, if anybody out here is looking for parts I am in Nevada and I found a complete LB 4x4 4.0 in a yard yesterday. As you all know, in this region NOTHING rusts so its in pretty decent shape so get a hold of me and I can give more details but act quick cause when I'm done with it their might not be much left of it. haha I snagged a Lund sun visor off of it for $15.

The '86 had a 1-3/4" or 2" exhaust, didn't it? You can mellow it out a lot by using a 2-1/4" muffler and tailpipe for a 4.0L, but be advised that you'll sacrifice some low-end torque (which is sort of an oxymoron with the '86 anyway). Once you have the 2-1/4" tailpipe, you can run a Soundmaster or Dynomax muffler of your choice.

4-bangers are tough, though. It's hard to not make 'em sound like a ricer. It'll NEVER be mistaken for a big block V8.

Yeah i agree. Theres only so much ya can do with a 4 for sound. Was thinkin maybe catback duals who knows. This is the 3rd truck ive owned so far and i wanna restore it. Eventually drop a 4.0 in it. It runs like a top though for havin over 230,xxx on it

the engine and fuel management system were designed around a certain amount of back-pressure. gotta be careful that you don't eliminate all of the back-pressure or you'll lose torque like Eagle mentioned. If you want a sound change, I'd suggest leaving everything up to the cat alone, and then throwing a cherry bomb or whatever after the cat. keeping the front half should retain enough back-pressure.

Check what gears you have in the axle. best way for an instant kick in the seat of your pants is deeper gears. :D after that, probably a swap to an electric cooling fan.