not mj but xj-how does the center of the dash come apart....

how does the center section of the dash that holds the heater controls, radio and switches come apart from the rest of the dash. it's on a 98 xj. not mine so i can't look at it to see. i think i'll offer to fix if it's not too bad and won't take long, it's too cold out to spend much time on it.

Not sure I understand exactly what you are asking.

The dash (once the trim is removed and the heater control and radio are gone) is just a pad that is glued to a inner frame. As far as I know they cannot be separated without damage to the pad.

thanks. the jeep needs a new switch for the fog lights, i assume. the lights quit working but will work on and off if you filick the switch on and off a few times. i don't want to offer to spend the time out in 20 below weather if it's going to take long.

It will probably take you longer to remove the switch from the bezel than anything. They just snap in, but have little clips on all 4 sides.

The switch bezel will come out with a few screws. It is very self explanatory once you get the center section removed.