what 5 speed do i need?

The AX-4 and AX-5 are literally identical except for that the AX-5 has the 5th gear parts. Gearing for 1-4 and R are identical.

Problem is going to be axle gearing. (assuming you have the 2.5)

2.5/AX-4 combo received 3.55 in the axles.

2.5/AX-5 got 4.10 in the axles.

Using the 5th gear with 3.55 axles is pretty much useless. I have a 2.5 with the MPFI system, originally came with an AX-4, but I put in an AX-5. Gutless in 5th unless you're running flat or downhill, doing 70+, and the wind at your back.

ok the 3:55 are dogs so upgrading the rear would be good too. I am not looking to do a 4x4 swap but rather just give the truck a little pep and a mild lift for bigger tires and some wrangler rims. providing i find a decent price on rims

If you can find the AX5 and its corresponding 4:10 rear axle to swap together, that would be your best option. I'm in the process of doing the same thing, except I am going 4wd, but Ive swapped the 4:10's in already and it gets a little buzzy in 4th sometimes, I have my AX% ready tp put in, just havent done that part yet. It did give the engine more pep too, as comapitvely, all the first 4 gears will now be lower, and your new 5th gear with that combo, should be the same as 4th gear with the 3:55's. The factory worked it out like that real slick!

How big of tires do you want? If you're going any bigger than stock, you'll probably want to go with 4.56.

Just for reference;

AX-4/3.55 (1.00 x 3.55) = 3.55:1 highest cruise ratio

AX-5/4.10 (0.85 x 4.10) = 3.49:1 highest cruise ratio